Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cleveland state university vs. tier 4 in a better place, HELP!!!!!  (Read 1402 times)

batermani2001

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello,

I need help! i was accepted into cleveland state university and was planning on attending and transferring. I heard transferring is extremely hard so i visited LSAC and applied to a couple of schools in Florida and California. I don't think i want to spend 3 years in Cleveland. I attended Wayne State for undergrad and it sucked! Do you guys think i should go to Ava maria instead of cleveland state? is it a big difference between the two? i have applied to other colleges in florida but they are probably inferior to ava maria. I had an lsat of 156 and a gpa of 3.0. What do you think i should do? I do not know if i will be accepted yet. I am hoping i will be accepted into university of pacific but i think i applied way too late. I was denied acceptance into california western and university of san diego. I was accepted into wayne state but i DO NOT want to go there again! HELP please!

MEMEMEME

Re: Cleveland state university vs. tier 4 in a better place, HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
I mean, if you were talking about not wanting to go to Yale or Harvard over fourth tier schools because of their location, I'd say you're nuts. But you're talking about a third tier school over a fourth tier school and you hate the location. Well, go where you'll be happy because the ranking in this case doesn't make much of a difference and let's say you're so happy at the warmer state schools and you're top of the class whereas you hate every second of Cleveland so get in the 50th percentile or lower- in that case, you'd be much worse off for going to Cleveland.

One other thing- if there is not much difference between the FL and CA schools (which it seems like there isn't), I'd go to a FL school because it would be far less living expense debt than it would be if  you were to go to a school in CA. If you were going to Berkeley or Stanford or even UCLA or USC or Pepperdine,  the debt would be worth it- but not for a fourth tier.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:21:38 PM »
Salaries are higher in California that is the reason the cost of living is so high. So at times going to a more expensive school in a state that pays well can be the right choice. Even people at my tier 4 get jobs in small first often make 65,000-75,000 at graduation. 

If you were to go to school in Spokane and pay the same amount I am speculating with no actual knowledge that the salaries in Spokane are far lower than in San Francisco or L.A. The price tag for Gonzaga or Golden Gate or Southwestern are roughly the same, but an attorney's salary in California I imagine is higher in San Francisco or L.A. than Gonzaga, but the cost of living is cheaper.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:04:48 AM »
Keyword "sometimes"...he or she would have a lot of competition since there are several Tier 1 schools.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »
Yes there are more schools in big cities and therefore more competiion, but there are also more jobs in big citeis hence the reason for multiple schools in N.Y., L.A., San Francisco etc. There are 7 ABA schools in the Bay Area and 3 CBA ones, but the Bay Area alone has millions of people and hence millions of jobs. You will have more competition, but more available positions. 

On the other hand if you live in Spokane there will be less competition, but fewer positions.  I am not saying either one is better it is just the reality of the situation. I think the only real screwed up thing is that there are two law schools in Lansing, Michigan that seems to saturate a market that doesn't exist. I know a lot of people like Michigan State & Cooley and I am sure they are good schools, but it just seems weird to place two high enrollmetn law schools in a town of 100,000 or so. Granted it is the capital of Michigan.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
How much money will you owe at graduation at the various options?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)