Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA male GPA 3.8 admission question?  (Read 1749 times)

patchn411

• View Profile
AA male GPA 3.8 admission question?
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
I am planning on applying to law school.
I have a 3.8gpa in Chemistry from Ivy league school.
have not taken actual LSAT. prediction is 165.

I am planning on applying to the top T10 schools
 (i.e. Yale, Harvard, and Stanford)

AA male GPA 3.8

patchn411

• View Profile
Re: AA male GPA 3.8 admission question?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »
I also have a MSc form Oxford.  i am extremely nervous about LSAT exam. I may get exam day anxiety.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
Why predict 165?  With a good GPA in a tough major from a good school you should have a good chance at a top score.  The LSAT is all about preparation - no special ability or knowledge required.  Don't sell yourself short.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
I don't think anyone can predict their LSAT score. There is really no point in predicting what you will get you should just study your ass-off and take the test. 

Having a 3.8 or a 4.0 in Molecular Biology from Harvard means nothing when the LSAT comes around. A guy with a major in  basket weaving from Timbuktu State could score higher pull a 180 and the Harvard Grad a 150.  It is a high pressure multiple choice test and until you get the score in there is no way to know if you will do well or not. As a result of that I don't think anyone can really give the OP any advice until the REAL LSAT score is in. 

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:52 PM »
I don't think anyone can predict their LSAT score. There is really no point in predicting what you will get you should just study your ass-off and take the test. 

Yes and no.  The LSAT is a very consistent test.  Questions functionally repeat constantly, and each test is very much like the others.  As a result, with sufficient preparation, you should score consistently within a narrow range.  The only new variables introduced at the "actual" test are "actual"-specific items like anxiety, location, etc.

Familiarity is a big part of success with the LSAT.  If you are not scoring consistently on your test exams, then you almost by definition are insufficiently prepared.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
Yea I think you can get an idea of what you might get, but people speculating they will get 165 is hard to say. Are they taking the practice tests right are they given themselves a few extra minutes etc. The reality is the real test is more pressure than a practice.  Until you get the real score it is not worth speculating on how you might do. I think if you have studied your ass off and have someone supervise you when you take your practices etc you can have an idea of what you might get. If you get 158-161 on all your practices odds are it will be somewhere around there, but possible a 154 or a 163 and if you got either of those scores it would make a HUGE difference

Tell any admissions committee you were scoring 170 on your Practice LSAT and I guarantee they will say that's great, but let us know when you get the REAL results. Anybody can claim to do great on a practice etc, but when it's real it is real and until the real score comes in there really is no point on speculating what schools you consider.