Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T3 to Tulane- Please Advise  (Read 719 times)

student03

• View Profile
T3 to Tulane- Please Advise
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
I've been lurking for years, and really need some advice. I am trying to keep my identity anonymous, and have changed some small details for privacy reasons.

I am currently above the top 10% at a small T3 very far from where I want to eventually practice. I receive a half scholarship, and was just accepted onto law review. I initially chose the school based on the scholarship and some of its programs, but I am very disappointed with the administration and the employment prospects. I am very unhappy at the school, and applied to transfer to a few programs. I am still waiting on my dream school, which is a T20, but I realize that my chances of getting accepted there are less than likely even with my connections in the city and work experience.

I was accepted to transfer to Tulane, and I am concerned about the debt. I have some financial resources, but I don't want to drain my funds before graduation. Tulane has better programs in the field that I want to practice in, and it has better name recognition in my eventual city of choice. In addition, my husband would be able to find gainful employment in New Orleans that would likely be in his specialty. He and I spent the past year apart, and I want to balance my goals and career with his so that we can both try to do what we love.

Is an extra $40,000 in debt worth the risk of losing my nest egg to the shaky job market? I realize that I will not automatically find my dream job after I graduate, and I am not scared to take on odd jobs while searching for a law-related position.

dempsey

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: T3 to Tulane- Please Advise
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
Firstly, with your success at your school I suspect you will get into your dream school(which is it?). As far as your current situation, Tulane is great but not sure what the prospects would be for a transfer, you may very well fare better as one of the best students at your current school

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
I would think if your husband could find a really good job in New Orleans he could help cover the 40K of extra debt or at least a significant amount. If New Orleans is where he wants to be and you would like to practice in that area then I think transferring would definitely be the right choice.

If your husband already has a good job etc, then it might not be worth messing up, but if it would be better for him and closer to where you want to live after graduation then I think it would be worth it. I stayed in San Francisco for my fiancee and it has worked out great and she has helped me financially a lot.  The Bay Area is where she wanted to be so she is happy and I am happy I really think your husband's desire in this should be a huge factor to consider. 

If you can go to a higher ranked school, in an area you want to live in, and your husband can get a better job in the area and be happier with his career I would think it would be a no brainier to go to Tulane even if higher ranked schools accept you.  That is just my opinion though.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
My friend at Tulane tells me that they are bastards in their home market (Tulane does not place well in Louisiana because Loyola beats them out in New Orleans and LSU beats them out everywhere else).  Also, they aren't placing well in their traditional (North East) markets due to the economy.  Buyer beware.  Talk to some Tulane 3Ls and recent grads to determine job prospects before you commit.

dempsey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
Tulane is not bested by Loyola in New Orleans. Tulane is very well represented in Nola. However, Tulane students who simply anticipated no competition from Loyola will be disappointed. Loyola is firmly entrenched in the city, and despite the qualitative difference between the student bodies the best Loyola students are competitive with Tulane students in the local market. And Tulane's ability to place outside Louisiana has been greatly diminished by the economic downturn. Thus a transfer student should temper expectations accordingly.