Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have you transferred out of UDC? Do you want to?  (Read 4687 times)

miht

• View Profile
Have you transferred out of UDC? Do you want to?
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:18:09 AM »
I've decided to attend UDC law this fall, and although I'm happy with my decision (it works really well for me financially, and I plan to do mostly volunteer legal work), I'm a little bit alarmed by some of the negative press/comments I've read.  I'm also worried by some things I've heard regarding their grading and ranking systems.  So alarmed, in fact, that I'd feel better if I knew of anybody who had sucessfully transferred out.  I'd just like to think that there was a prayer of transfering to another DC area school (George Mason, Catholic, etc.) if I was unhappy there.

Does anybody have any experience with this??

crg

• View Profile
Re: Have you transferred out of UDC? Do you want to?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:01 AM »
Good Morning,
I always received among the top grades in my classes. However, while speaking to friends who were attending other law schools, I felt it was harder than it should have been to receive an A at UDC. I felt it would have been easier to receive more As at another law school, due to UDC being transfer adverse. UDC will try to keep you at their school by keeping you from receiving good grades.

When it comes to transferring- the better the school you attend, the better school you may transfer into. UDC has a horrible reputation in the DC area so it is harder to transfer in the DC area, there are some schools who will absolutely not accept UDC students. The only person I know that has transferred into a decent school in that area transferred to American with a 3.98. My gpa is a 3.84 and I am transferring outside the DC area. So far I was accepted to a school that ranks in the low 60s by US News Report, and I am waiting for ten other schools to complete my application.
I had to keep transferring a secret or the professors and administration will not help you with anything. Furthermore, my experience at UDC was so bad that I withdrew from the insitution after I received my grades, even before I was accepted to any law school. I reasoned that I would rather not go back to that school, even if it means ending my legal career.

I personally feel if I had not attended UDC I would have had a much better legal career. I would strongly suggest you chose a different school as you will not realize how bad this one is, until you are there. Check into Howard, it has a much better reputation and general overall institution.

Kaiser7935

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Have you transferred out of UDC? Do you want to?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
The tuition is so low that I doubt you would want to leave after you start. Also, their clinical programs give you the chance to build some great connections in Washington. I have worked with some UDC Law grads who enjoyed their time at the school while graduating with little debt. The school prepares you to work in the courtroom as a trial attorney so many grads own their own firms. Though if you work hard you can work in any area of the law you want. For example this guy is a UDC Law grad and is one of the most respected attorneys at Greenberg Traurig.

http://gtlaw.com/People/IvanTSumner