Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much study do you do before a Preptest?  (Read 1885 times)

BlueSunFeathers

• View Profile
How much study do you do before a Preptest?
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
Did you take one cold then see where you're problem areas were then study? Or study first then take a prep test?

I've heard it's better to take a practice cold then study from there. But I did that for the SAT and ACT and I think my first diagnostic score stuck with me and hurt me more because I remembered it.

Right now I'm working through books and I can already see my main problem. I know I should stop and take a practice exam but I keep trying to go through my books first then take one and see what I did wrong and go back through the books and take another and so forth.

What was your method? Study through pieces of each book then take a prep or get through the books then take practice after practice. Or did you take a prep cold?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: How much study do you do before a Preptest?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
I like the idea of a cold preptest just to see where you are and get a feel for what you're up against.  It's also cool to have a baseline so you can brag about how much you've improved.

Otherwise, I don't care much about timed practice until you've got the basics down and are working on pacing.  It's cool to take a few timed tests here and there to experiment with things you've learned, but I wouldn't take the scores too seriously.

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
Speaking from my experience, taking the test cold works, but is frightening at first when you see your score.  On my diagnostic I scored a 153, which was a slap to my confidence.  For me, it was a good thing.  I am extremely confident person who could use be knocked down a peg or two. My final score on test day was a 173 (8 wrong June 2010).

TWB1525

• Stick to that and everything else is cream cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
Took my first preptest today.  I didn't study a bit.  Took the thing cold.  And like the previous reply, wow did I get a slap in the face!  146.  Ouch.

165 is my goal I set for myself when I started out.  I'm taking the actual one in October.  I've got four more prep tests to take and might get at least a couple more.  My biggest issue was the logic games (shocker, huh?) and, surprisingly, the reading comp.  I couldn't believe that one.  I think I literally got too cocky on it and didn't read critically enough.  Oh well, better to do it now on a prep than on the real thing. 
I believe in a strong military, the Dukes Of Hazzards, and that chicken fried steak and gravy taste better than a cheerleader on game day. - Larry the Cable Guy