Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking LSAT in Europe v. Asia  (Read 1758 times)

greencheese

• View Profile
Taking LSAT in Europe v. Asia
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:31:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

Would there be a difference between taking the October LSAT in the UK v. in South Korea?

I have been told over and over that the tests are different by continent, or at least the exam administered in North America is different from the one administered in Asia, and that the exam is "harder" in Asia. Perhaps this idea of different versions of the test comes from the June exam, which I noticed (at least this year) happened in early June everywhere else in the world but happened in LATE June in Asia--I am certain this was a case of different exams, and I can see why test takers in Asia might feel their test might be "harder" simply bc it's different from the one everyone else in the world is taking.

I'm currently signed up to take the test in the UK. Does anyone have any info on this idea of differing level of difficulty of the LSAT by continent?

Many thanks!

MEMEMEME

Re: Taking LSAT in Europe v. Asia
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
They probably think it is harder because of the reason you stated and you didn't say but is English their first or second language? It could perhaps be harder because they give priority to U.S. citizens, but I doubt it. Also, perhaps if you are just staying in Asia but are not from there, then the way the proctor administers the test feels like a more stressful environment than it would in the U.S. because the culture is different. Unless someone here works for LSAC, I doubt you will find the true answer on this board. Why don't you call them and ask if there is a difference in difficulty for the tests administered outside the U.S.? I am sure they won't lie. Some LSATs are just harder than others though and that's why they scale the score differently and have experimental sections so they know how to scale scores for future exams. Hope this helped

greencheese

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:16:21 AM »
Thanks a lot, you bring up some good points. A test is a test is a test, right? UK or Korea, I'm sure the location won't make a difference. May call up LSAC and ask, if I get around to it :-) Cheers

MEMEMEME

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »
Hey, let me know because I am in the UK right now taking care of my very ill mother and might be taking it here in October. You never know. So, let me know if you take it in the UK. You're welcome too.

perfectblue16

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
Green,

I can't speak to the experience in Europe, but I took the June 2010 test at Yonsei University in Seoul and I found it to be quite pleasant, relatively speaking. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that roughly 100 students showed up, and we were all ushered into smaller (and mercifully air-conditioned) classrooms consisting of roughly thirty desks. Moreover, the proctors paired off the desks so that each student had ample room to spread out if they desired. On the whole, the university did a nice job removing outside distractions.

greencheese

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I'm probably going to have to stick with taking the October test in London, but I'm glad to hear the June test experience at Yonsei was pleasant. Hopefully it's the same for me here.

MEME, see you at Ironmongers' Hall?

Magruder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
I'll be at Ironmonger's as well come October. Studying abroad has made prep for the October test less smooth I think.