Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seat deposit due soon and I don't know where to go  (Read 2226 times)

sportslaw4

• View Profile
Seat deposit due soon and I don't know where to go
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:21 AM »
I have about a week or two until a seat deposit is due and I am not not sure if I should go to Michigan State, Vermont Law School or NOVA.  I want to practice law in Florida but would consider New York. Should I attend a better school like MSU or a #1 Enviro school like Vermont over NOVA if I want to practice in Fla?  Thanks!

MEMEMEME

Re: Seat deposit due soon and I don't know where to go
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »
Who knows. Only you can decide and as I have learned about things, either decision could go either way. But I was once told you should go to school where you want to practice because of internships. U of Miami has a good environmental program anyway if you would consider transferring.

batermani2001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:43 PM »
to transfer you need to be top of your class!

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
If you could go to a FL law school I think that'd be the way to go.  Doubtful that hiring lawyers in FL really know anything about those schools in general.  At a FL law school you are likely to learn some FL law and have better opportunities to make FL contacts.  Of those  I'd guess MSU would carry the most weight out of its home region.
HLS 2010

MEMEMEME

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »
BTW, I took a paralegal degree after my bachelor's and I was told in class that California and Florida have the most difficult bar exams. So along the line of what BikePilot was saying, you should be prepared to know Florida law in and out thus you should attend a Florida law school if you are sure you want to practice in Florida. I also agree about contacts, etc.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
If you want to do Environmental Law in FL, FSU has a one of the top programs in the country for it. If you can't get in for 1L and do really well your 1st year, they take a lot of transfer students (about 60 or so).

sportslaw4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »
I have completed my 1L year and am looking to transfer to one of the aforementioned schools.  I am interested in IP and Sports law and know I want to practice in Fla.  I am still waiting to hear from other schools in Fla but am deciding between MSU and either Nova or FIU as of now..... what do you think?

Thanks for all the responses so far.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
I think if you want to live in Florida or New York then you should look at schools in Florida or New York nowhere else.  When you graduate from MSU or something you are going to be in Michigan and I think it is unlikely a Florida Firm will fly out to Lansing Michigan to  interview you or spend money to fly you out when there are 7 law schools in Florida.  Unless you are independently wealth when you graduate from law school and are studying for the bar money will be tight and it will be a huge hassle expense wise to even get to Florida or New York for an interview.  If you are a graduate of Stanford or Harvard or schools of that ilk firms might jump through hoops for you, but if you go to a tier 2, 3, 4 school  the local firms will hire you, but nobody outside the region is going to put effort in to seek you out. 

The reality is when choosing a law school that location is the most important thing unless you get into an ELITE school i.e Harvard Yale otherwise  if you want to live in Florida go to a Florida law school and I would say go FIU, because they have a ridiculously cheap tuition 10k or something and Nova or Stetson would likely open equivalent doors, but you would graduate with 40k less in debt from FIU than the other schools.  I never been to Florida and I am speculating, but I really think that would be the best choice if you want to live in Florida.

CUNY would be the best choice in New York with their really cheap tuition. If you got into Columbia or NYU then go there, but otherwise get out as cheap as you can. When I worked in New York plenty of CUNY grads had jobs and worked alongside attorneys that went to NYU, Cardozo, Touro, and Brooklyn and even one NYU guy, but the CUNY guys had less debt which is a huge relief. Notice that out of everybody I mentioend in the New York firm I worked in everybody went to school in New York. The rankings etc outside of the top 25 maybe 50 mean absolutely nothing and if they have any relevance it is superseded by the location of the school.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
Ok, so you are transferring not applying as 1st year. You said you want to work in FL. Did you apply to FSU or UF as a transfer student? If you want to work in FL, UF is #1 (T-1) there and FSU is #2 (almost T-1). They are both really cheap compared to other FL law schools (cost a little under $14,500/yr in-state).

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »
I forgot UF and FSU are state schools as well those would be better buys. Florida is the place to go to law school man.