Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: whittier  (Read 1691 times)

uopsu

• View Profile
whittier
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
Hi,
I tried posting elsewhere but discovered that the other forum I posted the message in is a bit inactive.  So I'd like to post here and ask if any of you have attended Whittier and what have been your experiences thus far.....competitiveness of the students.....thoughts about professors....are you thinking of transferring and if so, why....
Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks!

Haynes7

• View Profile
Re: whittier
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
Hey!  I'm attending Whittier this August.  I don't know much about the school yet but I look forward to reading any responses you get.  Are you going there this year as well? 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:25:24 AM »
I don't go to Whittier, but I finished my 1L at a California tier 4 and loved it. Any B.S. you hear about tier 4's and any ridiculous awful rumors are not true. They will not kick out 25% of the class and you can get a job or internship.  Law school for the most part is what you make of it and if Whittier's location works for you and you are willing to work really hard things should work out.   

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:39:17 AM »
Want to be a crap lawyer? Go to Whittier! Nothing but second-hand, riff-Raff wannabes attend that school.

uopsu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
hi,
I will be starting Whittier in August but from some of the posts I have read it seems the reputation of the school is dismal (example: sonafapickle's comment).  Plus it seems like the school doesn't care that much about us students since Whittier's website hasn't been updated to reflect the August orientation for 2010.  It still has info about orientation for 2009.  Other pages on the website need updating as well.  So although I'm excited to begin law school I feel a bit discouraged to start it at Whittier.  Yet, other posts have indicated that student experience at a Tier 4 school is not so bad (like bigs5068) and if experieces are comparable across all tier 4 schools then I should be okay and even happy at Whittier. 

I don't why Whittier has such a bad reputation besides its high attrition rate for 1L and low bar passage rate.  I would like to ask if anyone who has attended Whittier about their thoughts for the high attrition rate.  As for the low bar passage rate I reckon that it's due to the smart students who transferred their first year, thus leaving behind students who are still smart but the cream of the crop is gone. 

Thanks for your comments!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »
Sonofapickle is retarded he  has not even taken the LSAT yet alone attended one law school class and has no absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

The attrition at any school is misleading because of the way LSAC presents the information you need to look at the fine print. Whitter has 31% attrition, but or 49 people that left after their first year however only 20 of those 49 actually failed out. That is difference between academic and other for attrition. The 29 that represents the other category includes 28 people that transferred as you can see in the transferred out report and presumably went to higher ranked schools. The one person not accounted for in the other category probably just decided law was not for them.   

Taking the other part of the attrition into account the attrition rate is below 15% I don't know feel like getting into the math, but it is below 15%. No school has a mandatory kick out rate etc or whatever b.s. you read.

People get jobs from Whittier and other tier 4's I currently work with people that went to tier 4, tier 3's, tier 2's, and even Berkley & Stanford. Believe it or not law school teaches you the law no matter where you go. Whittier is not going to open the same doors as UCLA at graduation, but if you do a good job for a few years from Whittier or any school you will develop a reputation as a good attorney and nobody will care what school you went to. I was in court today and a Touro Grad won a motion against someone that went to Berkley today. Shockingly there schools did not come up once in court, I had just talked to both of them before and knew what schools they went to.

Use your common sense and realize if you go to a tier 4 it is going to be harder to get your career started than if you went Harvard. However, if you want to be a lawyer go to law school.

Don't listen to B.S. stuff from people that have not even attened law school on the internet regarding tier 4's. If someone has a differnt first-hand experience with then be more than willing to listen to their advice, but listening to someone like Sonofapickle who has never set foot in a law school classroom and not even taken the LSAT in fact he has never had a job that paid him anything. He posts ignorant sh** on this website all the time and that is how I know those facts about him.

Bottom line don't listen to any discouraging things people say that no experience with anything. Go to Lawschoolnumbers and try e-mailing the people that actually ended up attending Whittier over the last few years and their first hand account. Not some inexperienced retards statement on the internet.

uopsu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »
thanks for your post,
I emailed someone from LSN who I think attended Whittier last year but no response yet.  I'm dying to hear experiences from Whittier students (geniune ones, not inflated ones from tour guides) so hopefully some people will come on and post about their experiences.
I'll go to Whittier with the best intention of finishing there but if I don't like it, I can always transfer...

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
Don't count on transferring odds are you won't be in the top 10 or 20% nothing personal, but everybody at any ABA law school is smart and 100% of first year students think they will be in the top 10% and although most law students aren't math experts you can see how that will likely turn out.

You could just e-mail the school and ask for student's e-mails and get their first hand experience. Or visit the school and talk to students there I am sure some summer classes in session. Or look for law firms that have Whittier graduates working at them and e-mail them about their experiences. 

Just really get a first hand opinion from people that actually go to the school. Nobody except students at Whittier can really comment with any accuracy about the pros and cons at Whittier. I can comment on GGU and no other school really .

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 02:43:34 AM »
I'll go to Whittier with the best intention of finishing there but if I don't like it, I can always transfer...

If you are thinking about committing a to a law school, transferring should not be an option.  It is very hard to transfer, if you choose Whittier, fully understand all the pros/cons of the school and weigh them against what you what to do with your career.  I also so caution that your career goals could change, keep that in mind when choosing a school. But do not attend a school thinking about transferring, I know a lot of people who did that and failed out.  I am sure you will do fine, but you never know.

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:26:07 PM »
Don't count on transferring odds are you won't be in the top 10 or 20% nothing personal, but everybody at any ABA law school is smart and 100% of first year students think they will be in the top 10% and although most law students aren't math experts you can see how that will likely turn out.

This bears repeating.  Most people who go to law school are smart, and are used to being one of "the smart guys," and perhaps even used to being the smartest guy in the room.  90% of law students have a rude awakening when they are suddenly surrounded by smart guys.

While this is important for transferring, I would go further and note in general that this rude awakening is the source of much angst for 1Ls.  Be prepared for it.