Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recent Grad-Free to Answer Questions  (Read 2689 times)

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
Recent Grad-Free to Answer Questions
« on: July 05, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »
I just graduated from the U of A Law School.  I'm willing to answer any questions if you have them! 

OSUtoUALAW

• View Profile
Re: Recent Grad-Free to Answer Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »
Hey, Scoob!

I am starting law school at U of A in the Fall. Any specific advice for 1L? I haven't gotten anyone from U of A to answer ANY questions I've had. Everything thus far in the process has seemed a little disorganized, so I'm hoping that changes once school gets started.

How are job prospects here in Arkansas? Are you staying in state? I hope things are going well for you since graduation and congratulations!

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:31:59 AM »
Hey!

Well, as for "advice," I would say to enjoy your summer as much as possible because you will be busy in the Fall.  Law school requires endurance, so don't wear yourself out before you even start.  As for the disorganization, they do kind of keep you in the dark until several weeks before it starts.  At some point soon they will send you a schedule (if they have, I'm happy to tell you about the profs).  Probably about 2-3 weeks before classes they will give you a book list and assignments.  When they give you the textbooks, you can ask me which ones to buy because there are a bunch that are not necessary and are a waste of money (I lever opened at least 3-4 of them).  But, don't worry too much about organization, they'll get to you eventually. 

Frankly, jobs in Arkansas are kind of scarce right now.  I decided to take the Missouri bar.  I've actually gotten several interviews in Missouri since I decided to take the Missouri bar, so you can leave the state as long as it's within the region (assuming Arkansas is still a bad market in 3 years).  I also have a few friends who landed jobs in Tulsa (looks like you're from Oklahoma). 

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.  Also, if I'm slow to respond, you can PM me so that I'll get an e-mail notice of your message. 

Good Luck!  Enjoy the U of A! 

OSUtoUALAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
I really appreciate the help!!! I will definitely be emailing you once I get my schedule! I have thought about returning to Tulsa after school. I miss it there anyway:)

They really have been keeping me on my toes. I was offered a $4,000 per semester academic scholarship, but I looked in ISIS today and it only has a 2,000 Law Resident Scholarship. I hope all of this mess is easier after the first semester (I'm sure it probably will be...). I actually went to Ohio State for undergrad, and they are so large I think they were more organized just out of necessity. Who knows though... I'm just happy to finally be going to law school!

doubled99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Hello,

I just recently moved down here from Ohio as well, and so far I love it. I was just looking from some more general info about the school from scooby. How are the students? The profs? The competition? How did you feel about your experience overall? Sorry I'm all over the place here, just looking for a little info. Also, I have my schedule and I have Brill, Foster, Norvell, Sacharoff and Sampson. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »
Doubled99: 

The students are hard to peg.  I actually was amazed at how each class seemed to have a personality of its own.  My class was somewhat competitive, but at the same time most people seemed to be friends with each other and work together.  There was really only one person who was known to hide books or anything like that.  The class in front of me was about the same I guess.  However, the class behind me, this year's 3L's, couldn't care less about anything.  The on campus interviewers didn't even fill all their slot because people didn't even care to interview.  It was weird.  This year's 2L's, however, were EXTREMELY competitive.  They were involved in every club and did every competition.  Their grades were some of the highest I've seen (raw score, they still had a curve).  So, as far as what you'll see, who knows. 

The profs are inconsistant.  Some are REALLY good, others are mediocre at best.  As for your schedule, Brill will work you HARD, but you'll learn civil procedure well.  He's known as one of the best when it comes to that subject.  Unfortunately, I've never had Foster, Norvell, or Sampson and Sacharoff must be new.  Norvell is supposedly boring, but not that hard either.  Sampson is one of the easier Legal Writing Profs.  Not sure what Foster's reputation is.

Hope that helps!

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »
Oh, one more suggestion for you guys.  Ask around, as soon as you get there, for the Brill Script (a lot of people call it the Brill Bible, but, as a Christian, I just feel weird using that term). It's a word document where someone amazingly was able to type everything he said in class a few years back. It helps a TON. Anyone who had him for Civ Pro should have it for you.  I didn't know about it for about a month.  It would've reduced a lot of stress had I had it. 

Make sure to post the book list when y'all get it.  I promise there are several books you don't need which cost me a lot of money. 

doubled99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
Bluebook: Uniform System of Citation
Basic Legal Research
Writing and Analysis in Law
Reading Like a Lawyer

Problems in contract law - knapp
Rules of contract law (supplement)

Property (casebook)

Understanding criminal law
Criminal law and its processes

Civil procedure (casebook)
Civil procedure (supplement)

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
Of course they would change the list, lol.  They used to have a LOT more on the list.  I guess that's good because people won't be wasting money now.  You definately need all of those except Reading Like a Lawyer.  I also didn't use Writing and Analysis in Law or Basic Legal Research much, but I did use them periodically. The Bluebook is a must. The books for the core classes are also. Sorry to disappoint, but you pretty much need all of them except 1....The book store will have them for awhile, if you want to wait and see if you can get by without some of the legal writing books. 

doubled99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
How do you feel about used books for 1L? I'm nervous about buying used and having to stare at someone elses neon outlining...