Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on Receiving Accommodations for LSAT?  (Read 2221 times)

ssanders

• View Profile
Advice on Receiving Accommodations for LSAT?
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
Hello all...

I'm looking for advice on where to find affordable testing for cognitive impairments which LSAC would recognize. I'm well aware (especially from reading posts on this and other law forums) how hard it is to receive accommodations from LSAC, so it would be great to be able to get advice from someone who has successfully done so.

I was diagnosed in high school with dyslexia, mild dysgraphia, and ADHD. While there are obviously medications that help with ADHD, the only thing that really works for dyslexia is additional time. When it comes to dense, complicated/technical texts, I often have to read things about a dozen times to really sort out what it is I'm reading. Needless to say, this puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to the LSAT (which is a shame, because I am a fan of logical reasoning, arguments, spotting fallacies, etc).

I'm looking to take the LSAT in June of 2011, but the soonest I could get in for testing through my school is in September of this year. From what I've read, many people find themselves appealing denials from LSAC and some appeal up to a year. Because of this, I would love to try to find another alternative but it is hard to locate local doctors with the right credentials and tests.

I had found one woman who seemed like she would be able to do it, but she didn't quite have the specific test version that LSAC requires for psychoeducational batteries. When I look for other doctors (using google), it is nearly impossible to figure out if they are a legitimate service or someone that just wants my money; and money is another thing, as some tests range upwards of $4,000.

Any advice you guys can share regarding this would be appreciated. Realistically, I expect that I'll just be forced to take it through my school, but my hope is that I have missed something or haven't considered some alternative option.

Also, if you have received accommodations, I would love to hear your experiences on: (i) how did you find someone to test you, (ii) how far in advance did you receive the correct testing, (iii) what did the test consist of, (iv) did LSAC deny you/did you appeal, and (v) what did accommodations consist of (I can't seem to find information regarding whether or not it is a flat-rate amount of time added to the general time allotment or if it varies depending on severity of disability).

Apologies in advance for the long read (I realize the irony).

cooleylawstudent

Re: Advice on Receiving Accommodations for LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
they offer them, just call them and discuss it with them. I believe they mark it on your lsdas file that you had the accomodations, but you may want to check on that.(something about not giving you an "unfair advantage")

brkl93

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:20 AM »
The answer is yes , if there is medical documentation . Check with them and not rely on Thelo  as he a;ways replies to all post on here trying to prove something . He has no clue .did you not realize that he replies even when no one is talking to him ,he will answer someone else post .....What an idiot...............

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:56:08 AM »
oh yes, the "hello all" part and the fact that you just said that my statements were correct.

The answer is yes , if there is medical documentation . Check with them and not rely on Thelo  as he a;ways replies to all post on here trying to prove something . He has no clue .did you not realize that he replies even when no one is talking to him ,he will answer someone else post .....What an idiot...............

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:31:25 AM »
I'm looking for advice on where to find affordable testing for cognitive impairments which LSAC would recognize.

I don't think you should be a lawyer due to your ailments. Free rides should not be given to those who cannot meet the obligations because of some hindrance due to their innate ability.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:44:26 AM »
I think that if you really want to be a lawyer, and feel that you can handle the job regardless of the problems you mention, then you should at least have your shot at the LSAT, and then law school if you qualify. I just wonder, if you can't take the regular test due to needing a lot of extra time, how you are going to manage the work load. LS involves a ton of very dense reading. With exams at least, I know we had 1 kid in our class that had vision problems and some other learning disability like ADD, and they gave him a lot of extra time on the finals. So, they should give you extra time on finals.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
From what I understand, it is very difficult and takes a lot of time to get accommodations from LSAC.  It may be a while before you get approved. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
They probally are trying to weed out the fakers. If it was too easy, a lot of stoners and slackers would fake it.

That being said, if its true, then more reason to get started early. Good luck man, you deserve it. Keep up the good fight.

From what I understand, it is very difficult and takes a lot of time to get accommodations from LSAC.  It may be a while before you get approved.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:53:17 AM »
I diagree with sonofapickle. My mother has dyslexia and before she feel ill from cancer, could have been a great lawyer (was accepted into a British law program when she was young but did not attend) and was great at her career which required many of the same skills as the legal profession. Sonofapickle- Not trying to get at you, but you're going to find out that much of law is knowing how and where to find things and not necessarily being able to find everything. Law School is just the price you pay to get the privilege to practice.

adriaticnyc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 02:35:22 AM »
Have you contacted the ABA 3D Disability Law Committee office in DC?

I subscribe to their Listserv (my disability is from injury) - they're really pushing the rights of the disabled in gaining access to law school and succeeding there.

Try contacting them.  Online you can sign up for the Listserv at http://new.abanet.org/disability/Pages/emaillist.aspx

Good luck,

----Mary ---