Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.69 / 166 / midwest? south? suggestions?  (Read 465 times)

chrisnashville

• View Profile
3.69 / 166 / midwest? south? suggestions?
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
- My LSAT (166) score jumped about 6 points from my PT average. I imagine I could re-take in October and see if I couldn't get a few more questions closer to a 170 - I didn't study much after my 40 hours / freelance work / week.

- I went to a public UG that averages a 151 LSAT, grabbed a 3.69 in journalism (well-regarded j-school, but journalism nonetheless). Been out of school working past 3 years (will be 4 by Fall '11) in the news industry. That said, where ought I be looking?

I want to work in Nashville or Cincinnati if I can help it.
Midwest/South otherwise. Not too interested in moving Northeast or out West. Particularly not looking to rack up the debt..

- I'm a Tennessee resident. UT-K has very low in-state, and my score ought to get me some more cash. That's a big plus.
- lawschoolpredictor.com seems to think I have a shot at schools in the lower half of the T14/20, but a glance at LSN seems to think otherwise (or, at least, a lot of WLs). I'll likely apply to Vanderbilt, Notre Dame and WUSL, and maybe Northwestern...
- Ohio State / Cincinnati / IU-Bloomington also are on my radar.

Any others I should consider? Ones I should cut? Just like a little advice before I start the application process.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.69 / 166 / midwest? south? suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
I think you should particularly consider TN and OH schools, often schools outside the T14 are able to place much better locally than nationally and often secondary markets hiring particularly from local schools.   

I'd say apply and see what happens. 

Also, if you have a particular area of law that interests you see which schools have faculty who are strong in those areas (and hopefully offer courses in those areas). 
HLS 2010

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I'd also add Emory, you're likely to get a good scholarship from there.  And maybe also Duke as a reach.  I think you have a really good list there, good luck!
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
reach (but quite possible): Vanderbilt, Duke
target (maybe a little money): Washington U, Emory, W & L, ND
safety (money): Tennessee, Ohio State, Kentucky, Case, Wake Forest, Cincy

Definitely do recommned applying to schools in Tennessee and Ohio. Really if you know you want to stay in either state, Ohio State and Tennessee are golden in either place and you should get good money (although Ohio State might be a little stingy if you're not actually a resident). Probably no reason to go to a place like Wash U full price or almost full price if you know you want to go back to Tennessee.

chrisnashville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at Emory and W&L, I haven't really read much about either.