Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Audio study aids?  (Read 2715 times)

M112

• View Profile
Best Audio study aids?
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
What would be the best audio study aids that a commuter could use to take advantage of otherwise wasted time in the car?  Pertinent responses are appreciated. 

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Audio study aids?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
Audio aids are great!  There are several good ones - find the audio that goes with your casebook or look for ratings/user comments on amazon.  Often the audios follow a casebook - that really helps you have an intelligent discussion in class and helps with material comprehension.  I would not lock on to any one particular "brand."  I used Gilbert, Sum and Substance, and Law School Legends and they were all good - get an early start and find them cheap used on Amazon or Ebay.  They are very helpful supplamenting the material that the profs cover.  I had some great Civ Pro disks that really cut through the fog of the FRCP and were downright entertaining b/c the audio professor did such a great job using memorable examples.  I still remember his example of pleading special damages referencing a case where a guy got hit by a car, suffered routine injury, and nerve damage that caused him to have a permanent erection - the "special damages."  You expect broken bones in an accident, not a permanent erection.  He said his wife would be pushing him in front of cars.  Cannot recall who they were through though.

M112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:17:54 AM »
A question, how do you know if the audio guide is specifically connected to your casebook?  Would it just advertise itself that way ?  Also, does the same go for the high court summaries keyed to a casebook?  Would I just specifically look up a high court summary book connected to my particular casebook?

I recently purchased some audio study guides, one for the Glannon Civ Pro E&E and three from the Sum and Substance series.  Would you suggest returning them until I get my textbook and purchase ones keyed to them in lieu of the audio aids mentioned above?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Audio aids are great!  There are several good ones - find the audio that goes with your casebook or look for ratings/user comments on amazon.  Often the audios follow a casebook - that really helps you have an intelligent discussion in class and helps with material comprehension.  I would not lock on to any one particular "brand."  I used Gilbert, Sum and Substance, and Law School Legends and they were all good - get an early start and find them cheap used on Amazon or Ebay.  They are very helpful supplamenting the material that the profs cover.  I had some great Civ Pro disks that really cut through the fog of the FRCP and were downright entertaining b/c the audio professor did such a great job using memorable examples.  I still remember his example of pleading special damages referencing a case where a guy got hit by a car, suffered routine injury, and nerve damage that caused him to have a permanent erection - the "special damages."  You expect broken bones in an accident, not a permanent erection.  He said his wife would be pushing him in front of cars.  Cannot recall who they were through though.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
I dont know about returning them, civ pro is civ pro, the main gist you want to learn is what the rules mean, and I don't think the casebooks are all that different, so probably no need to return.  Often (if I remember right) the audios ID what casebook they are geared toward, but the biggest benefit is reinforcing the concepts irrespective of the cases, so I would not get too hung up on the casebook thing.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »
I love Sum & Substance.  I have a 45-minute train commute each way and I listen to those over and over.  Not sure about the casebook thing - although the one for contracts is with the same guy that edited my contracts casebook (Whaley), so I figured that was a good match.  They only go over the general concepts, so you definitely can't rely on them alone.  But as a way to reinforce concepts while you're commuting, I think they're great.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »
I just picked up some Law School Legends audio cassettes  on evidence and property for a small amount.    Is Sum and Substance superior to the others?  It seems they are more expensive- but a few people have been happy with them.

I also listened to the Civ Pro audio 'permanent erection' guy. He was pretty good and honestly up until a few weeks ago I had not realized every main law course has audio programs available.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »
I just picked up some Law School Legends audio cassettes  on evidence and property for a small amount.    Is Sum and Substance superior to the others?  It seems they are more expensive- but a few people have been happy with them.

I think I listened to a Law School Legends torts CD once.  It was fine; I just personally preferred the style of Sum & Substance.  Do they have them at your school's library?  That's how I always got them.