Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus Law School  (Read 13959 times)

justanothersucker

Re: Novus Law School
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »
Dang. That sucks about the test. I think you posted that before but were planning on retaking it at that time. I take it you are still planning on getting the "executive JD" to add to your resume since you have the first chunk of it done anyways? Some of those credits might transfer into a non JD paralegal program too. (worth asking about anyways)

If you have a masters in social work, why not just get licensed as a social worker and work for the state? Is your degree for that DETC and not meet the license requirment for your state?

As for the DETC thing, that is awsome but NOT the same as being an ABA approved program. I don't think you understand that. Just because it's legal dosn't mean its what an employer wants to see. There are online ABA approved paralegal programs, you just have to find them.

I already have a certificate in paralegal studies. It is from www.blackstone.edu.  That online school is DETC accredited.   That certificate has made me eligible to sit for the National Association of Legal Assistants' Certified Legal Assistant exam.  Once I pass the CLA exam, I will be eligible to apply for and become a Florida Registered Paralegal.   

I have already sat for the First Year Law Students' Exam.  I failed the test by 5 points.  I don't have enough money to fly to California again right now.  I don't have enough money to attend a real law school because I have a high student loan balance from the other three degrees I have.  The government won't lend me anymore money even though I am making small payments.  My major obstacle has been and continues to be enough money for law school; online or otherwise. 

All I really care about, though, is legal research and writing.  The only reason why I would have wanted to be an attorney was so that I could walk down the street and think:  "I'm an ATTORNEY, guys!"  I have a masters degree in social work.  If I really wanted to help people, I would have stayed in that profession.  Simply wanting to feel like you are better than anyone else is not a good reason to want to be an attorney.  So, I am going to swallow my pride, and support other people who really care about helping other people.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
All my other degrees are from nationally recognized schools.  Paralegals don't need the CLA credential.  It's voluntary.  The CLA credential is almost mandatory for someone like me since Blackstone is only DETC accredited.  I went to social work school because I wanted to be an abortion counselor.  I never found a job doing that.   I do not want to know about kids having the misfortune of being born to sadistic parents.  Therefore, child protective services is out.  I also have no interest working in a nursing home.  I discovered that the legal field will give me the right mix of people contact and administrative work that I am looking for.

I chose blackstone because it was 59.00 down and 59.00 a month.  It was low cost and made me eligible to sit for the exam.  The other paralegal programs went into thousands of dollars.   
Angie

justanothersucker

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
Is National Accrediting enough in your state to be licensed as a social worker or does that have to be a regionally accredited degree? (Regional accrediting obviously being a step above national).

If the paralegal training you are doing is voluntary(albeit still not ABA approved) why do you think it will increase your odds of employment?

Do you currently have a paralegal job? If not, why do you think additional non-required, NON-ABA training will help any?
What is your current field of employment?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 04:10:12 PM »
The CLA credential is ABA approved.  I was an  Air Force captain during the 80's.  Now, I am a security officer.  I am not interested in social work right now.
Angie

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 01:34:29 AM »
What state will allow you to sit for their bar exam with a J.D from this online law school?
What online LLM program will allow you to attend with a J.D. from this program?

I think you would be better off buying a degree from one of those online degree mills for a hundred bucks. They come an official seal and transcripts and they claim that they are genuine degrees and they even offer transcript verification by a live person from the college.
Or better yet, you can print out a J.D. degree from your own computer that says you graduated from one of those closed online law schools. Since they are closed, nobody would know the difference. You can put your own phone number down for the transcript verification, then whey they call, you can pretend you are the admissions office and tell them that the fake law degree is official and that the student(yourself) is highly recommended and you had a 4.0 GPA, and then you can take any state bar exam that your little heart desires.  ;)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
This is clearly misleading:

http://novus.edu/BARADMISSIONS.htm

Where is the ABA or the State Bars? They ought to get an an injunction against Novus instead of trying to make life miserable for non ABA graduates who have graudated from a legitimate law program. Novus proves the ABA is more concerned with maintaining its monopoly rather than actually protecting the consumer from fake law schools.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
This is clearly misleading:

http://novus.edu/BARADMISSIONS.htm

Where is the ABA or the State Bars? They ought to get an an injunction against Novus instead of trying to make life miserable for non ABA graduates who have graudated from a legitimate law program. Novus proves the ABA is more concerned with maintaining its monopoly rather than actually protecting the consumer from fake law schools.

Your post makes no sense. There is no such thing as a fake law school. Anybody can open an online law school or any school online or in state. Novus is a real law school. They just are not recognized by the ABA or any state.

The ABA has the monopoly on law school education. Several online law schools are currently in court battling for their right for ABA approval, however, the reason that ABA will not allow online law schools ABA approval is that the ABA has a secret oath as all school members have agreed to overcharge students for their legal education. If the ABA allowed online law schools approval, then every law school within the United States would close their doors because they would not have any students, as all law students would attend online for a fraction of the price. Currently, it cost over $150,000.00 to attend a brick and mortor law school. In contrast, an online law student can get a J.D for under $6,000.00. Some online law schools allow the student to make paymens of only $200.00 a month.

A person can get a J.D from the UK and several other Countries for $2,000.00.
America is the ONLY place on the planet that charges $150,000.00 to attend law school. The ABA should be closed down and each stated should be able to govern themselves.

Somebody should SUE the ABA the same as they sued the KKK, and forced them to close.
If every attorney stopped supporting the ABA, then they would be forced to close down.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
Novus is not recognized by any state. Novus is not recognized by the Law Society of England and Wales. A Novus degree will not entitle one to practice law ever. And I should know because I am a graduate of Taft and licensed in the US and several Commonwealth jurisdictions.

I do not support the ABA but I do not go in for sovereign citizen nonsense .

By the way, they do not grant a JD in the UK - they grant a bachelors in law which is the equivalent of a JD even though the ABA claims a JD is the equivalent to a PhD which it is not.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
Novus is not recognized by any state. Novus is not recognized by the Law Society of England and Wales. A Novus degree will not entitle one to practice law ever. And I should know because I am a graduate of Taft and licensed in the US and several Commonwealth jurisdictions.

I do not support the ABA but I do not go in for sovereign citizen nonsense .

By the way, they do not grant a JD in the UK - they grant a bachelors in law which is the equivalent of a JD even though the ABA claims a JD is the equivalent to a PhD which it is not.

Jonlevy, was Taft a good school? I am still searching for an online law school. I was thinking of attending Concorde, but there are too many students on this forum that dropped out because it was too much homework, so I changed my mind.  How was Taft for you? Thanks.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
If you can learn on your own Taft is good otherwise Concorde. Ultimately, neither one will work unless you can devote 30 hours a week minimum and are willing to study full time for the baby bar. The odds are 5-1 against that you will pass the baby bar and 15-1 against you will pass the California bar. Unless you already work in the legal field, these are bad bets. If you somehow pass the bar, you will need to teach yourself how to practice law because no one will hire you.  You will also need to move to California if you expect to gain any experience with live clients.

In fact, it is so hard that unless there is some geographic or medical reason, a bricks and morter school is almost always better.

Yes, one can get a California law license via online or correspondence study but you will find that the successful students have a knack for wrote memorization.