Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus Law School  (Read 14343 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Novus Law School
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:24:42 AM »
10-4.
Angie

ShangChi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:22:43 AM »
To all of you Brainiac's. NOVUS is registered as an authorized school in The Marshall Islands. Think back to either your high school days or college undergrad geography class, it is a real place. It isn't illegal to post on a resume that you attended a certain school and it was ruled unconstitutional several years ago that even if the school isn't authorized or recognized you can still post on the resume that you have a degree from the school in question.  Why not consider Taft law school from California, if you take the telecommunications Law JD program you can direct federal student loans. And it's recognized.
You can get into Thomas Cooley without a BA/BS degree and with only 60 credits, but your GPA and LSAT has to be higher because of the admissions index.  I think Puerto Rico is easy to get into as well. ANd yes all of you college grads, PR is a Commonwealth of the USA.

sandy01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
Why do most of the posts I have visited accuse Novus University of being a diploma mill and not a degree. If one does the work wouldn't that be a degree? From what I have read from past Novus students have worked hard completeing assignments and research. The school has a law library as well. By reading there courses and guide lines they appear to be the same as a ABA accredited school. Can a representative from Novus clarfiy my questions.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
I think there is something to be said about a school being ABA accredited. A real crucial thing is that you may be barred from taking the bar in certain states if you attend Novus or any other Non-ABA school. Even if you were a 100x better attorney and could get a perfect score on the bar you would not be able to practice law in a lot of states.  There are many competent and excellent lawyers from non-aba schools and I have seen them in action. California is one of the states that does not require you to graduate from an ABA school and there many lawyers who attended CBA or non-ABA schools. Who are excellent and remember the individual not the school makes up about 80-90% of a future lawyers success.

However, you did need to know that some states will simply not let you be a lawyer if you go to Novus, because you will not be able to take the bar. So check with every state bar and see what they say about the school and if it will allow you to take the bar in that state. Each state is different and if a school is not ABA approved you run the risk of wasting 3 years of your life and a ton of money. Well good luck to you.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 02:56:32 AM »
The previous reply said that "even if you get a perfect score on the bar, you still would not be able to practice law in some states." 

If you get a perfect score on the bar exam, wouldn't you be able to practice law in the state whose bar exam you got the perfect score on?
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:51 AM »
I think that most of us who post on this discussion forum agree that attending a brick and mortar ABA approved law school is the most preferred method.   However, one of the requirements for a law school to be ABA accredited is that the law school seeking ABA approval much charge an annual tuition amount in excess of a certain amount (in thousands of dollars).  If there was a brick and mortar law school out there, in every state, that was ABA approved and charged 100 to 250 a month on a debit or credit card, for 12 months for all three or four years, there would be no need for distance education or online law schools.  My only concern while attending such a school would be getting through 600 pages of reading a day; not whether my degree, upon graduation, would be worthless.  And, I wouldn't be a member of the distance education section frantically searching for an alternative way to get a law school education.
Angie

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »
The costs are outrageous agreed. My point about the perfect score is true though. A lot of states would not let you sit for it so you would never have the opportunity to get a perfect score. Even if you somehow snuck in and got a perfect score the ABA requirement is still there. Honestly, I was reading through 600 pages and spending a lot of time and money I would want to know if I can sit for the bar. It is all pretty much useless unless you can do that. Some states do not require you to go to an ABA school and some do. All I am saying is check the eligibility requirements for the state you want to live in before you enroll in a non-aba school.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
Did you know that in Wisconsin, all they have to do is graduate from law school in that state and the graduates are automatically admitted to the bar?  They don't have to take a bar exam.
Angie

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 01:39:53 AM »
Yes, but you have to graduate from either Wisconsin or Marquette. There is a bar exam if you did not go one of the Wisconsin ABA schools I mentioned. It is possible that a degree from Novus will not let you sit for the Wisconsin bar.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »
I knew that.   I had indicated that you have to graduate from one of the law schools that are in Wisconsin.  I am not studying at Novus.  While studying to be a paralegal, I am also studying with a different online law school that is much cheaper than Novus.  This online law school is similar to that University of Honolulu (I think that is the name) School of Law that is registered with the California Board of Examiners.  The online law school that I am studying under requires a final project.  My final project will be to author a digest of court opinions in one area of law that will expand over several decades.
Angie