Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus Law School  (Read 13975 times)

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Novus Law School
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
I plan to start studying under Novus Law School in August.  Is there any new news about this school as far as quality of education is concerned?  I am unable to attend an ABA school because I have reached the limit for federal student loans.  I know that Novus is unaccredited.  Has anyone put Novus Law School on his/her resume?  How do you like the mentors?  Are you reading actual court opinions or are they summaries. 
Angie

cooleylawstudent

Re: Novus Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
Will you guys EVER tire of self advertising for that illegal scam school that isnt licensed or accredited by anyone, anywhere and can't sit the bar with and will actually get your arrested in a lot of states(like texas) if you put on your resume?

I plan to start studying under Novus Law School in August.  Is there any new news about this school as far as quality of education is concerned?  I am unable to attend an ABA school because I have reached the limit for federal student loans.  I know that Novus is unaccredited.  Has anyone put Novus Law School on his/her resume?  How do you like the mentors?  Are you reading actual court opinions or are they summaries.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »
It is really cheap and you can apparently start the JD program without even having an AA. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by not being able to attend an ABA program because you've reached the max amount of loans. Are you able to attend this one because they have private financing or because it is so cheap? Maybe you could attend a part time program at an ABA approved LS and work. There are some fairly inexpensive PT programs. I'm thinking NCCU right off in terms of cheap & ABA approved PT, but I'm sure there are others. You may be able to find one that is relatively inexpensive and ranked. Do you want to be a practicing attorney after you graduate or is this a way to put off paying back loans until you can find employment?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
the company posts here everynow and then(always with an account with 1 or 2 posts) and we are all supposed to pretend that it isnt spam.
They are trying to appeal to the idiots out there who wasted $100K or more on an undergrad degree(about as useful as a piece of toiletpaper) by saying how cheap they are in the hopes that you will find the money(parents, kill your spouse for the insurance, whatever) and give it to them.
They dont care if you have undergrad since they are AN ILLEGAL SCAM! They claim you can do a legal apprenticeship, but you can do that even without their help. Its that simple.

It is really cheap and you can apparently start the JD program without even having an AA. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by not being able to attend an ABA program because you've reached the max amount of loans. Are you able to attend this one because they have private financing or because it is so cheap? Maybe you could attend a part time program at an ABA approved LS and work. There are some fairly inexpensive PT programs. I'm thinking NCCU right off in terms of cheap & ABA approved PT, but I'm sure there are others. You may be able to find one that is relatively inexpensive and ranked. Do you want to be a practicing attorney after you graduate or is this a way to put off paying back loans until you can find employment?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
Oh. I haven't been around here long enough to catch that. Thank you.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »
Which is why the legal professions has the  ABA to not let blatant scams happen.

They try to stop U.S. News, but people will buy into it I think U.S. News should rank NOVUS #1 I mean why not.  They might have 100% placement there doesn't have to be legal McDonalds is placement.  You probably don't have to take the LSAT to even get in so technically none of their students missed an LSAT question so since 180 is what you get when you don't miss a question that is what NOVUS LSAT rate is. Judge & Peer Assessment will NOVUS could pay for a judge to be on their board and they would a peer. Bar Passage Rate only makes up 2% of the ranking so NOVUS can overlook that little detail that test worth 2% consideration when choosing a law school. I can't believe the ABA would have the nerve to discredit such a genius formula.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »
I have more than 180,000 in federal student loans because I earned 3 degrees from different schools.  I can only get financed through private loans with a co-signer.  Additionally, I was in law school for a year during 1987-1988.  As a result, law schools in Florida won't allow me to even apply.  I looked for cheaper ABA accredited law schools.  None are as cheap as Novus.  I also studied for a year with California Southern School of Law.  I did not pass the FYLSX.  I did not have enough money to return to California to take the test again.  I don't understand it being illegal to list Novus on a resume.  Please go into further detail.  I am interested in being a practicing attorney for ego purposes.  I am currently enrolled in an online paralegal program.  The latter will meet my financial needs just as much as being an attorney would.  Has anyone ever seen the material that students learn from at Novus?
Angie

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
If its been that long then the ABA lets you restart the clock.
Its illegal to use unlicensed degrees since states dont want to encourage fraud.
If you can't afford to go to CA for the FYBX then how to take the bar? More to the point, how to do a 4year internship? Novus wont let you sit the bar, you have to find your own lawyer to take you under their wing(in CA) which Novus wont help with and you can do without attending them first if you wanted to. PLUS during that period you STILL have to take the FYBX as a legal apprentice.

Knowing all of this, how is Novus able to help you?

I have more than 180,000 in federal student loans because I earned 3 degrees from different schools.  I can only get financed through private loans with a co-signer.  Additionally, I was in law school for a year during 1987-1988.  As a result, law schools in Florida won't allow me to even apply.  I looked for cheaper ABA accredited law schools.  None are as cheap as Novus.  I also studied for a year with California Southern School of Law.  I did not pass the FYLSX.  I did not have enough money to return to California to take the test again.  I don't understand it being illegal to list Novus on a resume.  Please go into further detail.  I am interested in being a practicing attorney for ego purposes.  I am currently enrolled in an online paralegal program.  The latter will meet my financial needs just as much as being an attorney would.  Has anyone ever seen the material that students learn from at Novus?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »
You all have helped me to decide against signing up with Novus.  I will just stay with the online paralegal program and sit for the NALA certification exam, here in Tampa, in 2011.  Thanks.
Angie

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
Your welcome. Best of luck with your paralegal career. Mabey in time an employer will sponsor you for lawschool.

You all have helped me to decide against signing up with Novus.  I will just stay with the online paralegal program and sit for the NALA certification exam, here in Tampa, in 2011.  Thanks.