Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas Jefferson vs. Whitter Law School + $$  (Read 2285 times)

crash9919

• View Profile
    • Email
Thomas Jefferson vs. Whitter Law School + $$
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
Help! I need to make a decision between attending Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego with no scholarship money and Whittier Law School with a 9K scholarship. I've been admitted into the IP Fellowship Program at TJ, but have not heard anything from Whittier regarding their IP program despite pressing them for an answer. IP is where I want to focus my studies. I feel like living in the San Diego area might provide more opportunities for internships/extenships which can help when I'm ready to graduate, but at the same time, it's hard to turn down a scholarship. Can anyone offer any insight or thoughts?

Haynes7

• View Profile
Re: Thomas Jefferson vs. Whitter Law School + $$
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
Thomas Jefferson is a much better school.  I would go there. 

crash9919

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
Why do you think it is better?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
Whittier was on probation recently, but so was my school and everything has worked out fine for me up to this point. Either school will provide you with the basics to be a decent lawyer, but if IP is what you really want to do you should see if either school has an IP Law Clinic or specialized classes in the area. 

Is the Whittier scholarship for one year or all three years or renewable? If it is guaranteed 9,000 a year then 27,000 is a decent amount of money.

crash9919

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Both schools have special IP programs that I have already applied to; I've been accepted into the Thomas Jefferson IP Fellowship program, still waiting to hear from Whittier's.

The scholarship is for the first year only, however it can be renewed based on performance after the first year depending if I fall in the top 20% of my class.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
Honestly both schools seem about equal and if you are having problems getting in touch with the administration at Whittier then that will probably be their behavior for the next 3 years. It sounds like TJ is at least on the ball in the specialized program with how they treated you.

In reality both schools are about the same. You save some money by going to Whittier and you can put you are a merit scholarship award winner on your resume and that might boost your resume look a little bit, but not to much.  Odds are you won't renew the scholarship since there is only a 20 % chance of that nothing against you, but almost everybody in law school is very smart and thinks they will be in the top 20%, but obviously only 20% can.

The best way to answer the question is which city you would rather live in San Diego or L.A, but there is no right answer out there. If you put the work in at either school it will probably work out so remember that. Good luck.

crash9919

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
I have to say that TJ has been on the ball as far as communication, they are very prompt about responding or following up with me by phone or email. I applied to the IP program at TJ and a few days later I was admitted. I sent my application months ago to Whittier's IP program and still have not heard anything. I emailed Whittier last week and received a response that my application is still pending before the IP board.

I'm a little worried about going to a school that isn't attached to a large college/university, and the stigma that can be attached to that by some in the legal community. I don't think it really matters to much though...I think the two schools regardless are about equal.

I think I'm definitely leaning toward TJ, still it's hard to look at turning down a scholarship. I just hope I can do well my first year and earn one my second/third years.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »
All the people who say sh** about the tier 4's etc are full of it. Obviously Thomas Jefferson is not Harvard and I assume you knew that, but as shocking as it may seem law school teaches you to be a lawyer there is no crazy tricks or anything any school teaches you the basics to be a lawyer. 

Will some place not hire you because you went to Thomas Jefferson maybe, maybe they won't hire you because your short or tall, or have spikey hair or you like the lakers. There is a million reasons why someone might not hire you and no matter what school you go you will get rejected a few times for jobs.  Life is competitive I don't know what else to say. One thing I can say is do not listen to all the b.s. rumors about schools kicking 25% of the class out and nobody ever hiring you etc that is not true. Any ABA school teaches you the law and how to be a lawyer, but building a legal career will be up to you.

If TJ has been on the ball etc then that is probably where you want to go. Especially if Whittier is not on the ball and ignoring you when they are trying to get you pay them 30,000. If that is how they behave when they are trying to get your money imagine how they will act once they actually have your money.

crash9919

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice Bigs...

Yeah, I know Thomas Jefferson isn't Harvard, and I've come to accept that I will be going to a 3rd/4th tier school. I feel that I can still get a good education no matter if I go to Whittier or TJ. Each of them were extremly friendly, and have highly qualified faculties, not to mention, they both have a specialty for IP.

I think you have a good point about Whittier not getting back to me, and taking so long to respond. Even with a scholarship, I still think a school should be prompt and responsive to the requests of students when they are paying 30K plus...maybe TJ is just on top of it to get me to to go there, but right now I'm feeling like they really want me there, and I like that, despite not getting any money from them.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:45:44 PM »
Of course they are being nice to right now to get your money and every law school wants your money Harvard and Cooley both care about getting your tuition first & foremost they are businesses. However, if Whittier can't get back to you in the recruiting phase then it is probably not going to get much better once they have your money.

The money is something to consider, but considering it is probably only going to end up being 9k in the long run since you probably won't get in the top 20% of course there is 20% chance you can and I hope you are, but it would be worth 9,000 to go to a school that at least replies to you during the recruiting phase.