Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T4 to T1  (Read 5726 times)

Tsmdiver

• View Profile
    • Email
T4 to T1
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »

Bye T4! Hi T1! What a wonderful feeling...
Juris Doctor Candidate 2012
Florida State University College of Law

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T4 to T1
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
From where to where? How much if any scholarship money did you pass up at your tier? I am just really curious if you were offered anything to stay.

Tsmdiver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
I was accepted to Emory... I am passing up a measly $10,000 for the next academic year. I'm pretty stoked!
Juris Doctor Candidate 2012
Florida State University College of Law

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
Probably definitely the right choice 10k is a pretty low offer.  I imagine you must have been in the top 10% at least to have transferred into Emory and that is crazy they did not offer you more to stay.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
I don't have all my acceptances/rejections yet, but I can currently say bye T-4, hello tippity top of T-2.  :)  (I'm hoping to be able to say hello T-1 soon. lol.) It is a big relief! I worked my @ss off all year (as I'm sure you did too), and I am so ecstatic/elated/[insert all other applicable adjectives] that it paid off. I certainly look forward to shedding some of the stress and baggage that comes with attending a T-4 LS and reaping some of the benefits a T-1/2 has to offer.

I'm surprised your school isn't giving you more money to try to tempt you to stay. My old school increased mine to $27.5K, but it still leaves me paying about $7K/yr. (Then again, this is a new scholly deal based on class rank that the school started this year to try to retain more students. You'd think they'd have a full ride option, but it caps out at $27.5K)

OP, thanks for starting this page. There should definitely be a Bye T-4 Hello not T-4 transfer thread.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:14:47 PM »
I got an extra 10K so I will basically only be paying 7k a year I talked to others who transferred out to tier 2's who said it was not worth the extra debt, that is only a 3 person sample in the bay area though. I am sticking with my tier 4 since everything has gone pretty smoothly for me up to this point, but we will see. Good luck to you guys at your new schools.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
Did you end up negotiating with the Dean or did they increase your scholarship without you having to ask? 7K a year is a great deal if you are happy with your school, and from your posts, it sounds like you really like it there.

The school's I'm looking at are $14-16K a year, so it's not too much more considering the T increase and the many other reasons motivating me to transfer. Losing law review bothers me more than the small tuition difference.

Tsmdiver, you heard back pretty quickly. Does Emory do rolling admission for transfer applications or was there something amazing about your application, like you being #1 at your school that made them respond so quickly?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Woohoo! Now I get to say it. I heard back from 1 of the T-1's I applied to, and I'm in. Bye T-4, hello T-1!!

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
Man I haven't heard from anyone yet....  all your talk is making me nervous :-) . 

Would you be kind enough to post ur general class rank?  I'm getting nervous.  I was top 3% at a T4 so I kind of hoped I would hear (at least from somewhere) by now.  Applied everywhere from low tier 2 to mid tier 1's...

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »
Top 2.3% of a very large class (660). With a Top 3% rank, I bet you will be getting some acceptances soon. Did you apply to schools that are transfer friendly? The other question would be, did you apply to schools that prefer in-state and where you are out-of-state (like UNC)?