Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Was I accepted?  (Read 3149 times)

Tsmdiver

• View Profile
    • Email
Was I accepted?
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Okay... yesterday, I received an email from the career services office at Emory informing me that they were "glad that I was attending Emory Law as a transfer student this Fall." The email seemed to be a pretty standard email, indicating that if I was planning on participating in OCI, then I would have to fill out and return various forms. The email struck me as odd, however, especially since I did not receive an official letter of admission for transfer. So- I called the admissions office. The lovely lady on the other end of the phone told me that a decision on my file was made; however, as we all know, decisions are not given over the phone, so she informed me that I would just have to wait for the letter (which I expect any day now).

Does it seem a little coincidental that I received the email the same day that a decision on my file was made? Am I thinking into this too much? Has anybody else received this sort of email?
Juris Doctor Candidate 2012
Florida State University College of Law

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Was I accepted?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »
From what I have read and from personal experience, some schools call and some schools send an e-mail letting you know that they have accepted you. There's another thread somewhere on this site (I'm pretty sure that it's under the transfer section) that has a link to a database that shows how some of the schools inform students. Emory might be on it. It looked like e-mail and phone calls were pretty common for transfer acceptances.

Tsmdiver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »
I know that Emory sends out acceptance letters via mail... The email that I received was not an acceptance email; however, the email did state: "We are glad you are coming to Emory Law as a transfer/transient student, and the Office of Career Services ("OCS") looks forward to working with you."

Sooo- do you think this means that I was accepted and the office of career services just happened to send me the email before I received my official letter from the school? Or, do you think that it is more likely that the email was sent to me by mistake?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
I have heard of the acceptance e-mail being sent to the wrong person, but that would be extremely rare, and is probably mostly urban legend. It is highly likely that they sent you the e-mail to go ahead and let you know, though the phrasing is a bit odd, and are sending the official notice to you by mail. I know that FSU calls to let you know you're in before they send out the official acceptance letter. It's probably the same thing, just by e-mail.

Tsmdiver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
My gut feeling was right. Acceptance came today :)

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
Congratulations!