Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 712 times)

barond

• View Profile
Interesting
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »
That's awesome I bet the guy will be a kick ass lawyer and he will be able to deal with the getting rejected one time since he has been to prison and dealt with real life before.

Haynes7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:15:52 AM »
ugh.  Coke heads make me sick.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »
I hope you don't aspire to get into criminal law if cokeheads disturb you.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:03:35 PM »
what do you think his odds at character and fitness are? I know guys on this forum were going nuts when a poster mentioned a misdomenor fraud charge, isnt felony multiyear prison a step above that?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »
I was refering to the poster saying coke heads gross them out, but yea I would think his criminal record could be questionable, but I would think the bar really cares more about deceit crimes above anything else.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
Every felony involves deceipt of some type or another. Albeit drug dealers are good at marketing and networking.

quote author=bigs5068 link=topic=4023677.msg5381391#msg5381391 date=1277514183]
I was refering to the poster saying coke heads gross them out, but yea I would think his criminal record could be questionable, but I would think the bar really cares more about deceit crimes above anything else.
[/quote]

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »
I don't think if you got in a drunken bar fight there would be an dishonesty involved it would just be a fight.  If you trick somebody into doing something like swindle someone out of their life savings that is being comfortable lying. A lot of violent people can be quite honest.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:24:26 AM »
Yeah, it seems like there are similarities between dealing coke and fraud, but also distinct differences. A coke dealer would be more like a general salesman, whereas many people who commit fraud would be in a position more like a lawyer. As a lawyer, you would have a fiduciary relationship with your client, and those committing fraud are often able to commit the act by taking advantage of the relationship they have with the "mark". The coke dealer by contrast often doesn't even know the person he/she is selling to (or at least not very well), and there is less trust and connection needed for the transaction. So, theoretically, the coke dealer and the person that commits fraud are quite different.

(Note: Yes, Theo, I know you will likely say that one can commit fraud without knowing the person, such as credit card fraud, but it is still taking advantage of a person at a very different level from dealing coke because it is still an intrusion into another person's confidential matters.)

mac n cheese

• the top feels so much better than the bottom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
There are more stories out there like this one. I read somewhere that traumatic events often guide career decisions. Its like an orphan wanting to be a social worker, or a kid that grows up with a sick parent wanting to be a doctor. Its no suprise that this guy wanted to be a lawyer. I think its cool. He certainly won't be uncomfrotable around his clients which is a good thing!
maCNCheese