Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need some real advice  (Read 538 times)

mrsmer530

• View Profile
    • Email
I need some real advice
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »
Hi,
I would try to touch on the basis of my backstory.
I started college in the fall of 2001, became emancipated from my abusive parents, subsequently became homeless after the death of my fiance. I basically worked until 3 in the morning and slept in the lounge of my college for 18 months.  I could not afford books, and could barely afford school. It took a terrible toll on my ugpa (2.47) and I ended up leaving school in 2005 with 6 credits left to graduate. I decided to go back to school after the birth of my daughter in 2008 and I finally finished. I am currently enrolled in a Masters Political Science program and I have a 3.89 GPA. I am also scoring 168-175 on my practice LSATS. Do you think I have a chance to get into a decent or even a really good Law School. I am also an underrepresented minority. :(

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I need some real advice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
Yes if you do well on the LSAT and have no felony convictions or anything. Just take the real LSAT and use lawschoolnumbers.com to look at your chances of admission. Being a URM will also help you a lot in admissions decisions and lawschoolnumbers.com will show you that as well.

Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:31 PM »
Really prepare well for the LSAT, and take a lot of practice tests. I'd recommend (if you have the time) also acquiring the PowerScore Bibles if your score varies greatly from practice test to practice test. Also, take them timed. You look like you have a good shot at it. The difficulties you've overcome in your life would make for a great personal statement as well.

Haynes7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 01:17:40 AM »
Yes.  I think you will make a great law school application.  Much better than mine because you have struggled so much. 

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:04:03 AM »
Hi,
I would try to touch on the basis of my backstory.
I started college in the fall of 2001, became emancipated from my abusive parents, subsequently became homeless after the death of my fiance. I basically worked until 3 in the morning and slept in the lounge of my college for 18 months.  I could not afford books, and could barely afford school. It took a terrible toll on my ugpa (2.47) and I ended up leaving school in 2005 with 6 credits left to graduate. I decided to go back to school after the birth of my daughter in 2008 and I finally finished. I am currently enrolled in a Masters Political Science program and I have a 3.89 GPA. I am also scoring 168-175 on my practice LSATS. Do you think I have a chance to get into a decent or even a really good Law School. I am also an underrepresented minority. :(

You certainly have enough of a chance to make it worth taking the LSAT.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

mrsmer530

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
I thank all of you for the advice. It's funny, I just recently purchased the powerscore bibles for the logic games and logical reasoning. I tried a few Kaplan books, but it didnt seem as if it was worth the money.

Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »
Excellent! Kaplan is good for a general overview, but its tactics and strategies are often too broad. PowerScore is way better for specificity. Best of luck to you in your admissions process. :)