Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG question  (Read 1483 times)

kat167

• View Profile
JAG question
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »
I have a question.

I recently passed the bar exam in CT in Feb. I am now doing that job search thing. I was thinking about JAG. However, I did not graduate from an ABA accredited school. Anyone know if that is just a gatekeeping function or if they seriously will say no because of some law school despite passing the bar being sworn and such.

Just on a side note, but this has been a problem. I passed the same bar exam as everyone why should it matter where I went to school? I have the same kind of work experience. I get so tired of being snubbed. I know off topic.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

georgiadawg1

• View Profile
Re: JAG question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »
The regs for new JAG officer accessions for all branches require that you be attending or have graduated from an ABA accredited law school. It's possible but unlikely that this is waiverable by the branch. Even if it is, I doubt you would stand a good chance of getting selected since all the services have more applicants than spots right now, and most if not all of them will have attended ABA law schools.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JAG question
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »
Kat -

Georgia is quite right.  I know of one Yale grad who just began his JAG training, and to be honest even I was a little surprised at how many JAG applicants there are.

Depending upon your preferences, you might look for positions, such as government positions, where the degree is sufficient, or where the bar admission is.  These might be in quasi-legal areas, such as a "contract officer" (dealing with various contracts, procedures, etc.) for an agency not directly related to a legal function (such as the AG's office).  There are many possibilities in such capacities, and while unfortunately it is a difficult market, search for organizations in which which the specifics of your legal background will be less important, because the focus of the agency (or business) is not strictly "legal."

Thane.

I have a question.

I recently passed the bar exam in CT in Feb. I am now doing that job search thing. I was thinking about JAG. However, I did not graduate from an ABA accredited school. Anyone know if that is just a gatekeeping function or if they seriously will say no because of some law school despite passing the bar being sworn and such.

Just on a side note, but this has been a problem. I passed the same bar exam as everyone why should it matter where I went to school? I have the same kind of work experience. I get so tired of being snubbed. I know off topic.

Any info would be great!

Thanks