Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Detroit Mercy Law School vs. Wayne State Law School??  (Read 5539 times)

Lawyerwannabe23

• View Profile
Detroit Mercy Law School vs. Wayne State Law School??
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »
Hello,

I recently received a message from Detroit Mercy indicating that I had been accepted to their JD program after my application was accepted from the wait list. I took the LSAT last september and I didn't too great on it (142) but my gpa vastly improved in my latter years. Originally, my application was deferred at Wayne but then I was informed that they had waitlisted me. In the case that I do get accepted to Wayne, which would be the most optimal situation/school to attend? I should also mention that retaking the LSAT is not an option for me due to certain circumstances and I currently reside in Michigan and don't plan to move out of the state which is the reason why I am asking about the schools that I have mentioned.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

P.S: I was also accepted at Cooley but I don't think that I should be taking them into consideration vs. Mercy I guess?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Detroit Mercy Law School vs. Wayne State Law School??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »
Law school is what you make of it, but it is a huge risk no matter where you go. There will be people that say  this and that about every single school, but an ABA school will give you the basic tools to pass the bar and be an attorney. Neither Mercy, Cooley, Wayne State etc are going to have people knocking down doors to hire you. It will be you that has to go and make it happen and that is the situation at almost every law school.  If you get a scholarship from any of those schools I would say go to the one that is going to give you money otherwise rankings of tier 2/3/4 schools means almost nothing.

Lawyerwannabe23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
Bigs, I appreciate your response and I agree with your overall outlook on law school, however, in my case I am not speaking of merely passing the bar exam. As I'm sure you can understand that a lot of factors go into choosing the right law school because you have to think of being in that school for at least 3 years, so my whole question revolves around what would be the most comfortable situation given the limited choices that I have. I agree with you in that it is what you make out of it but in the same instance, not every school is equal to another because as I mentioned there many factors that can make a school favorable over another regardless of what tier they fall into. I'm not concerned about which tier these schools fall into because I know it wouldn't make a big difference, that is Cooley and UDM are both tier 4 schools and Wayne is a tier 3.

That being said, there are pros and cons to every school I guess and that is why I was wondering if people could tell me based on their personal experiences or if they could offer some advice on the choices that I have, specifically between UDM vs. Wayne Law.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
Fair enough I know nothing about Michigan and you are right every school has pros & cons.  Good luck on making your decision. 

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:45 PM »
Accepted with a 142?  That must be nice. I wish they were that generous when I applied the first time. I lost a whole year having to retake the lsat.

I was waitlisted and then accepted by UDM last year. I enjoyed my first year a lot.  The professors are really good and the classroom experience likewise. I went to undergrad at Wayne, but they rejected me.  I personally would have chosen Wayne, but looking back I am glad they turned me down.  I think Wayne is quite a bit cheaper and the attrition rate is much lower. The grades here are tough, but not too tough. The curve is very fair from my experience, even though 1 class did beat me up. I know one person in my class who chose udm over wayne.  We had one of Fiegers right hand man come in for a chit chat and also had a federal judge have a hearing in the school for oral argument on some motions.

I would visit both schools and see where you feel most comfortable.  The UDM Open House event I went to- the admissions people actually gave the audience a side by side comparison of the 2 schools after 1 applicant asked why she should choose UDM over Wayne.  One thing I think that is apparent is that UDM is a private school- where there is a more of a personal stake by the staff. I wouldnt base my decision on whether someone answering the phone is nice and friendly, but there is something to be said for public v. private.

Lawyerwannabe23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
Thanks Bigs for the encouragement.

Barond thanks for the info, it sure is nice to hear some insight from a student that is currently going to the school at this point. I'm glad that you feel good about your decision. I just received a letter from Wayne today and needless to say they did not accept me; which was not too surprising to me. However, I am optimistic about UDM and what they have to offer. Do you, as a student that is currently going to UDM, know what the job market is like for UDM graduates from a general standpoint?  I know it is a vague question but I'd like to get some information on the employment opportunities post graduation or internships during the summer.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

barond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
The employment prospects are currently pretty tough in my limited opinion, but I like to stay positive and not negative.   I was talking to one recent graduate who got some kind of job as a clerk with a judge after doing an internship.  One other graduate had nothing lined up- even tho she was a top student. I got a fancy UDM dvd that had Dennis Archer that was really motivating, but getting a job in this competitive field will never be easy.

I attend in the evenings, so didn't really network too well about employment prospects- I was just trying to survive the first year grind and learn as much as I can.  I have checked the lsac 9 month out employment numbers the past 4 years and its gone from 85 to 89 to 91 to 75%.   The 75% certainly is concerning, but still thats 3 out of 4 who have some sort of employment. As we all know, having a degree of any kind guarantees you nothing. There are plenty of internships/externships available.  From what I can gather- I have confidence this school provides resources and opportunities. Thats all you can really ask for.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 12:46:50 AM »
Yea honestly no school can guarantee you a job, but if you put work in and apply things will generally work out.  Everyone I know at my tier 4 who actually tried hard to find a job did. People who put in half ass efforts don't have anything. It really is up to you and whether you go to Mercy, Wayne State, Michigan State, Cooley, the options will basically be the same.

Don't let anyone tell you a school will limit you make it happen.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:10:16 AM »
I find it hilarious that people cry about 75% employment right out the door. True its lower than in the past, and we'd all like to see 100%, but come on man that's basicly saying unless you are the bottom 25% of your class(or an absolute social idiot) you are almost promised a job.

The employment prospects are currently pretty tough in my limited opinion, but I like to stay positive and not negative.   I was talking to one recent graduate who got some kind of job as a clerk with a judge after doing an internship.  One other graduate had nothing lined up- even tho she was a top student. I got a fancy UDM dvd that had Dennis Archer that was really motivating, but getting a job in this competitive field will never be easy.

I attend in the evenings, so didn't really network too well about employment prospects- I was just trying to survive the first year grind and learn as much as I can.  I have checked the lsac 9 month out employment numbers the past 4 years and its gone from 85 to 89 to 91 to 75%.   The 75% certainly is concerning, but still thats 3 out of 4 who have some sort of employment. As we all know, having a degree of any kind guarantees you nothing. There are plenty of internships/externships available.  From what I can gather- I have confidence this school provides resources and opportunities. Thats all you can really ask for.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 01:36:14 AM »
I know 75% employment how AWFUL. Go to almost any four year college and ask for employment statistics it would be atrocious!   Or even MBA's, M.D.'s, etc as far as I know law school is the only type of education that keeps tabs on everybody that enrolls attrition, employment, etc. If you looked at decent schools like UCSB for undergrad it would have a 40% attrition rate and of that numerous people who don't have any type of job.

You go to school to learn a skill it is up to you to make a career out of it. A school is supposed to teach you the basic things, but you become a good lawyer by practicing law not answering multiple choice questions.  Disagree with me if you want and yes I am going into my second year, but everything I have seen in law school and other walks of life indicates if you put work in and try your ass off it works out. If you the type of person that blames your school, your professor, the weather, whatever it might be it doesn't. There are people that bi**h and there are people that make it happen regardless of what school they went to.