Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Detroit Mercy Law School vs. Wayne State Law School??  (Read 5426 times)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit Mercy Law School vs. Wayne State Law School??
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »
Is that 75% of graduates or just 75% of people who reported their employment status?

Also, is that 75% with full time employment that requires a JD or just any kind of employment?
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »
98% of the people reported so it is a pretty significant sample. Who knows about where these people were working that is why U.S. News & Even LSAC are b.s. in regards to measuring employment. Unpaid internships can be counted as placement for purposes of U.S. News & LSAC stats and I don't think anyone would be satisfied after 3 years of school and thousands of dollars in debt. They really should go more in depth with salary information and not just median salary on school's website the median is b.s. the mean is what matters.

Regardless I'm sure there are plenty of people at UDM doing well who actually got their asses in gear and there are people struggling who say they can't get a job because they went to UDM, but anyone says that about their school I have no respect for. You can find a job doing something if you have a J.D. it is the same rationale that the million people on unemployment in San Francisco who hang out bars all day and complain that they can't find a job even though they put no effort in. 

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
...that is why U.S. News & Even LSAC are b.s. in regards to measuring employment....

Not to mention the numbers put forth by the schools themselves.

Regardless I'm sure there are plenty of people at UDM doing well who actually got their asses in gear and there are people struggling who say they can't get a job because they went to UDM, but anyone says that about their school I have no respect for. You can find a job doing something if you have a J.D. it is the same rationale that the million people on unemployment in San Francisco who hang out bars all day and complain that they can't find a job even though they put no effort in. 

So many baseless assumptions in this paragraph.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
Of course the schools are even worse GGU at least did provide in depth salary information on their career website. They did say that 98% placement at graduation I think, but they did include unpaid internships as placement and that is B.S., but for the people that did find jobs they did list the salary information.  Were the numbers amazing far from it and I knew that coming in, but plenty of people did find jobs that paid well.  A lot did not it is up to you to figure it out though. If over 50% of people in the same situation as you are accomplishing something i.e. passing the bar, finding a decent job etc, then passing the bar or finding a decent job is possible, but it is up to you. If you go to any law school really and expect anything to be handed to you it is not going to happen it is hard competitive field to get into just like it is hard to be in the top 10% of your class. If you want to be a lawyer the other side is going to work hard to beat you it is competitive and if you can't handle knowing that then you should probably not go to law school.

I don't know any UDM graduates that are doing well or poorly I live in California so I have not encountered anybody from UDM. I can say that in my 1L section all that people that were hard working passed their first year and found internships. The people that put in a decent amount of work, but missed a few classes and were on the internet 15-25% of the time in class, applied to a few jobs here and there don't have anything lined up. The people that missed class and never did the reading failed out. It is pretty simple logic the people that I had respect for and thought were smart, hard-working, etc are doing quite well from a tier 4 no less. The people that are smart, but somewhat lazy are not doing so hot. They did get through the first year though. The people that were just plain lazy failed out.  That is how it works in any profession there is no real luck or anything involved. Just like Thomas Jefferson's awesome quote "The harder I work the luckier I  seem to get." It is very true hard work generally does pay off it might not, but from what I have seen going to my tier 4 the hard working people are doing just fine. The lazy people are not.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »
You really make some inexplicable assumptions about people on this board.  I can't believe you would sit there and say that the people who don't have jobs are simply lazy.  You have no clue how hard people study, you are completely making an assumption that is baseless and not only that, probably hurtful and demoralizing for your fellow classmates that don't have jobs.  I can't believe you have the nerve to say that higher ranked schools judge lower ranked ones without knowledge and then make accusations against your own fellow classmates like that, calling them lazy. Shame on you.

The fact of the matter is that this that job prospects coming out of those schools are NOT good.  They are even worse now that the economy is so stagnant.   The week I graduated from my school, the Wall Street Journal reported only 25% of those graduating from law school this year have jobs lined up.  It is a battle for everyone right now, no matter where you have went, and even worse for those graduating from lower ranked schools. 

As I have said before on this board, I went to a T4 before I was lucky enough to transfer to a T20.  The difference is night and day.  Although Bigs likes to defend his T4, s/he will never have the complete perspective.  And s/he is only making things worse by falsely calling his classmates lazy. I know plenty of smart, hardworking students at my T4 who don't have jobs.  It is not b/c they are lazy, but their degree is not working for them.  I also know people from my T20 without jobs, who will take anything right now, and they can't get jobs b/c the legal market lost 22000 jobs last year. That is the reality of the situation.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
Its a lot more accurate then to say the opposit applies to everyone. Hell, he's right. If someone is crying about starving and they're standing 10feet from a salad bar crying "but I dont like salad, why are they going to let me die......" Yeah, F-that. Take the work that is there or don't. Lazy bastards.
If you're not full of poo about them "taking anything" they'd be hired right now. 

quote author=SASS link=topic=4023666.msg5381474#msg5381474 date=1277674562]
You really make some inexplicable assumptions about people on this board.  I can't believe you would sit there and say that the people who don't have jobs are simply lazy.  You have no clue how hard people study, you are completely making an assumption that is baseless and not only that, probably hurtful and demoralizing for your fellow classmates that don't have jobs.  I can't believe you have the nerve to say that higher ranked schools judge lower ranked ones without knowledge and then make accusations against your own fellow classmates like that, calling them lazy. Shame on you.

The fact of the matter is that this that job prospects coming out of those schools are NOT good.  They are even worse now that the economy is so stagnant.   The week I graduated from my school, the Wall Street Journal reported only 25% of those graduating from law school this year have jobs lined up.  It is a battle for everyone right now, no matter where you have went, and even worse for those graduating from lower ranked schools. 

As I have said before on this board, I went to a T4 before I was lucky enough to transfer to a T20.  The difference is night and day.  Although Bigs likes to defend his T4, s/he will never have the complete perspective.  And s/he is only making things worse by falsely calling his classmates lazy. I know plenty of smart, hardworking students at my T4 who don't have jobs.  It is not b/c they are lazy, but their degree is not working for them.  I also know people from my T20 without jobs, who will take anything right now, and they can't get jobs b/c the legal market lost 22000 jobs last year. That is the reality of the situation.
[/quote]

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
Yea the people that don't have jobs did work hard I am not denying that. To simply get through the first year of law school anywhere is very hard, but the people who worked extremely hard finished at the top of the class and found internships.  Working hard is simply not enough in law school you have  to work extremely hard since the law is a competitive field  I have not passed the bar yet, I have not even graduated so all I am talking about is my perspective after one year of law school at a tier 4.

Prior to attending a tier 4 people said falsely they have a mandatory 25% kickout rate, which is completely false. Then even if you get through that you will never get an internship or anything again that is not true I know plenty of people with internships including myself. I do know people that put some effort in to find a job and don't have anything, but some effort is not enough particularly when the economy is so rough. I don't know every single person at my school either I am sure somebody worked extremely hard and it didn't work  out.  Life is a bi**h it is tough and if you enroll in law school you have to know you are taking a risk. If it doesn't work out take some accountability for yourself though. Honestly, if I don't pass the bar or get a job I will not point the finger at GGU I will look to myself and say I should be applying to more jobs or studying harder.  Even if I do everything right and work my ass off it might not work out, but what I will not do is blame my school and take no responsibility for myself.

I don't want to degrade people, but in my section the people that I thought were quite smart & hard working found something and the people that put in some effort, but not enough did not. That is just it if you go to a tier 4 you better be willing to work your f'ing ass of and if you sit around saying my school screwed me over it is not going to impress anybody and you will be singing that tune for the rest of your life.  It is real easy to complain, but a lot harder to accomplish something. You can whine about how unfair it is and plenty of people do, but whining never got anybody anywhere.