Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC vs Emory vs Notre Dame  (Read 2203 times)

yjj209

• View Profile
    • Email
BC vs Emory vs Notre Dame
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »
I am..
1) an international student with experience in equity research in an emerging market (in a local securities company)
2) currently covering chemical/energy sector as an RA/junior analyst.
3) graduated NYU with a 3.8 GPA in econ.
4) equifluent in English, Korean and Chinese.

First question: I wonder what my shot at employment in the US legal market will be upon graduating law school (please don't ask why I'd want to work in the States over perhaps, Hong Kong or Shanghai). My goal is to pursue a career in corporate law (more specifically in the energy or shipping sector).. Note that I don't particularly have aspirations to work in a BigLaw, although it would be nice if I could. Also, note that we're looking three years ahead.

Second: Would a mid-sized law firm hire foreigners? (do they have the resources to go through the trouble of sponsoring a visa?)

Third: With the above info, which school would provide me with the highest chance of employment in the States, from the following list?

BC
Cardozo
Notre Dame
Emory
(in at all the above with large $$$)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC vs Emory vs Notre Dame
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:32:43 AM »
I am..
1) an international student with experience in equity research in an emerging market (in a local securities company)
2) currently covering chemical/energy sector as an RA/junior analyst.
3) graduated NYU with a 3.8 GPA in econ.
4) equifluent in English, Korean and Chinese.

First question: I wonder what my shot at employment in the US legal market will be upon graduating law school (please don't ask why I'd want to work in the States over perhaps, Hong Kong or Shanghai). My goal is to pursue a career in corporate law (more specifically in the energy or shipping sector).. Note that I don't particularly have aspirations to work in a BigLaw, although it would be nice if I could. Also, note that we're looking three years ahead.

Second: Would a mid-sized law firm hire foreigners? (do they have the resources to go through the trouble of sponsoring a visa?)

Third: With the above info, which school would provide me with the highest chance of employment in the States, from the following list?

BC
Cardozo
Notre Dame
Emory
(in at all the above with large $$$)

My vote is for BC, but I'm biased toward the Northeast.  I believe that you could get biglaw from BC (or ND or Emory for that matter) if you did well there.  I don't want to hazard a guess as to percentage though.  Also, I'd caution against banking on much improved hiring in three years.

I don't see why a mid-sized firm wouldn't hire a foreigner.  I don't really know anything about mid-sized firms though.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
Not knowing your LSAT score it is hard to say, but with a 3.8 GPA from a good school and your other experiences/skills, I would think you could do better than the law schools you listed.  Why those schools?

As to your chances with BigLaw/MidLaw - the schools you listed are not generally high on the hiring lists with BigLaw firms (Notre Dame perhaps the exception, as Domers are notoriously ... Domerish), but I believe they are all well-respected regionally and should serve you well with MidLaw firms in their respective regions.

Being a foreigner is tough.  No other way to put it.  You are on an F-1 now?  Unless you win the visa lottery or get married (hint, hint), you are asking your firm to undertake (a) an H-1B application and, if things work out, (b) a permanent residency application.  Both of those are expensive and time-consuming for the employer, even if you pay the legal costs.  So basically you are asking your prospective employer to do a major undertaking for you, on top of the standard recruiting costs - and they have to do it NOW, before you have proven yourself.  And even then, you still might not get the visa.

That is a very tough sell for any employer that does not regularly deal with foreign employers, let alone a mid-sized law firm.  Many, perhaps most, will pass unless you bring something special to the table.

As a foreigner you will have to work harder to distinguish yourself, to make sure that the firm thinks you are worth the hassle.

That said, there are some mid-sized firms that specialize in shipping and similar disciplines, and they may have some experience with visa applications, so careful employer-shopping is also a good idea.  Another option is to look for in-house positions.  Most largish companies deal with visa issues on a regular basis, and generally won't be bothered too much by it.

Northwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
It is too early to guess what your "shot at employment" will be. That will depend entirely on factors that have not materialized yet. To analogize, it would be like a high school student writing his personal-statement essay and then asking what are his chances at getting into law school. Without his college GPA and LSAT score, you wouldn't have sufficient information to guess. Same here. Your experience and language skills will help, but other factors will matter more.

I agree with Morten about mid-sized firms hiring international students. I think that unless you find a niche firm and position yourself as an indispensable resource within that niche, it is unlikely you will find a mid-sized firm willing to take that gamble.

The four schools you listed are difficult to compare, employment-wise. In their respective locales, they each offer good prospects. Looking wider, all of them have names that will carry some degree of recognition in outside markets, but none of them have names that will command recognition. For instance, if you wanted to work in Miami, I don't think it would make any difference whether you chose Notre Dame or BC.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 10:29:45 AM »
I think ND is the most national of these schools. Everyone's heard of ND and ND alumni are known for helping eachother out. Speaking Korean and especially Chinese could really help but then again, if you're at some mid-size firm in the Mid-West or South there's really no reason that it would help. Actually, it's probably only the kind of thing that would help in some biglaw firms that do international law and perhaps some federal govt. jobs. 

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
BC has the best placement statistics out of the three at top law firms (see http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/02/law-school-.html).

I would also be cautious as an international student at the prospect of living in the South or Midwest.  These areas aren't going to have as much of a city or cosmopolitan feel as Boston.