Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Republicans propose allowing online and via mail degrees to sit bar.  (Read 4371 times)

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My suspicion is that "b&m" = brick and mortar.  He is saying that if the bar exam were more difficult, more people would fail, including those attending "regular" law schools.

cooleylawstudent

I find your need to use gender specific terms in both your username and postings towards other user to be sexist and demand your immediate apology to all the member of this forum! >:(

"Ideally, you would want all attorneys to work at a much higher standard than that required on the bar exam."

I agree, but I would contend that the bar exam should be harder, not that people should be excluded from taking it because of where/how they received their education.  This would also help relieve the glut of attorneys, as more b&m students would fail the bar. 

What exactly do you mean by your comment "as more b&m students would fail the bar"  what ethnic groups are you saying because it seems that is exactly what you are saying . IF so explain yourself MISTER .

cooleylawstudent

Harder tests=lower pass rates?....INSANITY, LOCK HIM AWAY!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

My suspicion is that "b&m" = brick and mortar.  He is saying that if the bar exam were more difficult, more people would fail, including those attending "regular" law schools.

brkl93

• View Profile
blah.blah,blah,Thelo  why don't you do us all afavor and get off this board. YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO TELL OR SUGGEST ANYONE HOW TO CREATE A USER NAME!!!!!!!!! This is a free country btw why did you respond did anyone reply to you .....It seems to me with a name like I WANT BEER  you would have better things to do besides be on this board.eg study for 2L. Your postings are ramblings . Mind your own business ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cooleylawstudent

says the man who posts only where I post and creates an account just to pretend he's not argueing with me as "silent bob" at the exact same time.
Remind me, where on this topic did I mention your username Einstein?

blah.blah,blah,Thelo  why don't you do us all afavor and get off this board. YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO TELL OR SUGGEST ANYONE HOW TO CREATE A USER NAME!!!!!!!!! This is a free country btw why did you respond did anyone reply to you .....It seems to me with a name like I WANT BEER  you would have better things to do besides be on this board.eg study for 2L. Your postings are ramblings . Mind your own business ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
Wow what happened here, To clarify what I meant was I did not know what  B & M meant is all . I certainly hope I haven't hurt anyones feelings ........... Being from the south we say Mister , MRS , no harm intended .  :)

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
I certainly didn't take offense - though your reaction was interesting.  On some of the boards where I belong b&m is a commonly used terms for "brick & mortar" (or traditional) schools, as another poster comments.

Swede1

• View Profile
Re: Texas Republicans propose allowing online and via mail degrees to sit bar.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
@ladylawyer065. I am also from Lousiana (Leesville) and almost never hear Mister or Mrs. Sir and Ma'am are the most common ways to address people in my experience. Also, the way you capitalized MISTER makes it at least look like you tried to use it as some kind of slur.  And how you immediately jumped to the conclusion that b&m must be some form of racism was interesting.  Instead of maybe saying "I am not familiar with b&m, what does that mean?"

HBBarbie820

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Swede1,

I find it more interesting that this was construed as offensive. Having lived in the South for a decade, I am not surprised at the use of Mister. LadyLawyer has expressed exactly what she meant. The use of capitals indicates to me that she was using humor to ask an uncomfortable question. And, I figure that everyone on here has enough education to determine why a person would ask if there was a racial slur intended or not. Further, we all read the news and should understand that race issues are a problem. Here in GA, teachers in two counties (economically prosperous counties) were using slave questions in the math homework that was assigned recently. Regardless, I do not think LadyLawyer was attempting to start a race war. She merely asked and used the word Mister which most reasonable people would consider the mildest of slurs (though I maintain that Lady Lawyer could have done far better if that is what she intended).

Regardless, your resulting point I agree with as in a forum like this, it is hard to determine the tone of a statement. I have just joined this forum and have read through some of the posts on other threads and it is ridiculous how rude people seem to want to be. In my opinion, we are all striving toward or have achieved the same goal. So, what is the point of arguing over which school or which person's goal is superior? I know with finals coming up, I do not have the time.

Back to the books. Good luck to all whatever is ahead of you.

Barb

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
Back on topic:

Any updates? Did Texas pass the rule or not?
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran