School Specific Boards > Harvard U

Pass/Fail

(1/5) > >>

cooleylawstudent:
Is it true that Harvard is going to a pass/fail system and if so why? Wouldnt that eliminate competition?

the white rabbit:

--- Quote from: Thelo mia mpira on June 23, 2010, 09:32:54 PM ---Is it true that Harvard is going to a pass/fail system and if so why? Wouldnt that eliminate competition?

--- End quote ---

I believe they've already done it.  I think the rationale is that everybody there is smart so why bother forcing professors to spend their time making meaningless distinctions between B's and B+'s?  I believe they still have high passes or something for exceptional performers.

cooleylawstudent:
so do they still have class ranking? If so what if some random slacker got all D's since "I'm already here who cares" mentallity. As long as you fail wouldnt you be able to graduate on a 1.0 equivelent if its pass/fail?

Morten Lund:
Yale Law School has had this system for many years now, to no apparent harm.  YLS does not issue a class ranking, and I do not believe HLS does with their new system either.

Sure, a theoretical slacker could coast his/her way through, but as a practicality neither of those schools admit a lot of slackers.  If anything, their problem is an excess of neurotic overachievers.

By the way - "pass/fail" really is a misnomer, at least for YLS.  "Pass/pass" is more accurate.  You would have to try very hard to fail a class.  I suspect HLS will apply a similar policy.

cooleylawstudent:
ok, so if competing for a top internship or applying to a top firm when your classmates are also, how do they pick which they'd prefer?

quote author=Morten Lund link=topic=4023662.msg5381217#msg5381217 date=1277348002]
Yale Law School has had this system for many years now, to no apparent harm.  YLS does not issue a class ranking, and I do not believe HLS does with their new system either.

Sure, a theoretical slacker could coast his/her way through, but as a practicality neither of those schools admit a lot of slackers.  If anything, their problem is an excess of neurotic overachievers.

By the way - "pass/fail" really is a misnomer, at least for YLS.  "Pass/pass" is more accurate.  You would have to try very hard to fail a class.  I suspect HLS will apply a similar policy.
[/quote]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version