Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ohio Northern vs. Roger Williams  (Read 3333 times)

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
Re: Ohio Northern vs. Roger Williams
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »
Again, thanks to all for the comments.  I have heard a lot on RWU from generous advice-givers.  From what I've heard, Ohio Northern is an extremely solid program and among the rising schools in the country in academics and job placement.  But is relatively unknown because it only graduates a little more than 100 students a year and is East-Jesus Nowhere, Ohio.  The program, in my estimation, is a better one than RWU and would be a no-brainer if it was a bit closer to my home state.  Was I misinformed about Ohio Northern's academics?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:03 AM »
I am sure either school will offer you a respectable legal education any ABA school will teach you the basics. So the real question is where you would rather live and I would guess Rhode Island would be better than wherever Ohio Northern is. 

If you have some particular area of interest you should look at what type of clinics each school has and e-mail the professor in charge of the clinic your interested in at either school. 

In regards to your comment about ONU only giving out 100 degrees it has been around  40 years longer than RWU so by default there must be a larger alumni network at Ohio Northern.

There is a lot of pluses to going to a small school as well. The people at my internship all go to Hastings and there are twice as many students at that school and is a pain to get classes for them, get into clinics all that stuff. If you go to a small school it will be more supportive at least in my limited experience. However, as I have said law school is what YOU make of it. Do not listen to any B.S. about tier 4's being awful and horrendous either that is complete B.S.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
I do not know much about Ohio Northern, and its probably a little late to help now. However, I can speak to Roger Williams.

Before I chose Pace, I was on the fast track to going to Roger Williams. I personally believe Pace was a better fit for me, but I had nothing against Roger Williams. They were friendly, helpful, and very receptive. I was not happy with my scholarship, and I asked for more, and they gave more too me. I loved the campus, and the people there were friendly. The students seemed upbeat, but that is tough to gather just from campus visits. I have read bad things as well, however, remember, this is the internet and anyone can post. Most of the claims have no facutal basis (someone said sucide rates were highest on earth or something rediculous). It sounds more like people who may not have had a solid idea of what being a lawyer was, got into Roger Williams and graduated not making 100K a year.

I can say that Roger Williams is a good school, should be on the rise, and the facility is in very good shape. Also, the town around it is a nice, small New England town with plenty of things to do, and is a fifteen minute ride to downtown Providence.

Hope this helped.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

Northwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »
I don't mean to nitpick, I really don't. But when you talk about how this is the Internet and anybody can fabricate factual claims, and then you turn around and say that Bristol is "a fifteen minute ride to downtown Providence"...well, you're kind of asking for it. The actual drive is about double that.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
Sorry, didn't realize I responded twice to the same post! My bad.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »
not to keep an old thread alive, but I chose ONU law.  I did the summer starter program and did very well.  The location is terrible but the school does a very good job at what it does.  Although it is a thoroughly regional school, I can see why ONU posts the highest bar passage rate in Ohio (i think better than OSU and Case?) Small but dedicated faculty with an emphasis on personal student development. Profs go out with students, play sports with them and frequently socialize after hours. Many profs have been leaders in their respective fields and know the law well.  A good choice, but still might look to transfer to be closer to home if my grades allow.  All in all, if you live within 100 miles of here I would choose ONU over better ranked schools.

Again, many thanks to everyone who put their two cents in.  Sometimes nuetral, third party advice is refreshing from biased advice from friends and family.  I will defer to this blog if I need any help in the future. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
 Yet another tier 3/4 student satisfied with the school they chose based on first hand experience. Please for anyone considering law school next year do not listen to all the b.s. sh*t people post about tier 3/4's, unless they actually attended the school.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:30 AM »
not to keep an old thread alive, but I chose ONU law.  I did the summer starter program and did very well.

Glad to hear it's working out thus far.  Keep up the good work.  ;)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)