Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from Santa Clara to Hastings  (Read 2761 times)

alhammondsucks

• View Profile
Transfer from Santa Clara to Hastings
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »
What grades do you guys think one needs to transfer from SCU to Hastings. Top 10%, 20%, third?

Also, any advice on the types of statements of purpose that are successful? Do they matter?

Thanks in advance..

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from Santa Clara to Hastings
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:33:44 AM »
I don't think it's going to be easy to come up with a range.  You can look at the yahoo group (transferapps, or something) and see if you can discern a pattern for those who UC Hastings accepts.

But, what I can tell you is that if you're top 10% at SCU, you'd have a VERY good shot at getting into UCLA.  If that's any indication, I'd say Hastings would also be a good shot.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
Why do you want to transfer,  being a bay area law student I am just curious what you think or know Hastings will offer that Santa Clara won't?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Did Santa Clara offer you any scholarship money?  I don't understand how Hastings is ranked as high it is I am sure it is fine school, but it  is a small building in the ghetto.  It is part of the UC system and that is the only reason it has any notoriety in my opinion, but I am there is a better explanation for it out there.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »
I guess so I think you might be putting to much emphasis on rankings especially considered Stanford and Berkley are impressive on a resume, but I think it would be better to rank highly at GGU, USF, or Santa Clara opposed to the middle of the pack at Hastings. I work with a ton of Hastings students now and they have not gotten any further than me and the pro is I have less debt.

We will see how it turns out in the long run though.

Also in regards to faculty GGU & Hastings have many of the same professors since they are half a mile a way from eachother. The other 1L's in my internship from Hastings had two of the same professors I did. The faculty at a school don't give a rats ass about rankings they are people and they want to be get paid. If they can teach at two places they will do it. Just something else to think about before transferring and losing about on 22,000 of scholarship money.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
If  those are goals then Hastings is without question the right choice.