Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need to make a decision tomorrow. Help! Franklin Pierce or St. Thomas (MN)  (Read 544 times)

thrillerjesus

• View Profile

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Neither!  You shouldn't plan on transferring.  Chances are you won't be in the top 10%.

Northwoods

• View Profile
"New England" is a big area, and Franklin Pierce doesn't have much of any reputation across most of it. If you want to practice in New Hampshire, then go to Franklin Pierce. If you want to spend three years in New Hampshire, then go to Franklin Pierce. And vice versa re Minnesota. $15,000 is helpful, but it isn't a full ride and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me in either direction.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Neither!  You shouldn't plan on transferring.  Chances are you won't be in the top 10%.

Seconded.  When you're making this decision, you need to assume that you will not be able to transfer.  You should probably assume that you won't be in the top 10% either.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The difference between a tier 3 and 4 is irrelevant get out with as little debt as possible in an area you want to practice in. At the end of the day almost all law schools are regional minus Harvard and those types of schools. Outside of about top 25 maybe 50 schools the rankings mean almost nothing and you should take money to go to the 122nd best school instead of paying thousands more dollars to go to the 101st best school. I was in a similar situation and I am very happy I chose my tier 4 school with a scholarship.

Northwoods

• View Profile
The difference between Tier 3 and Tier 4 may not matter, but the geographic difference matters a great deal. Unless you truly don't care where in the United States you are going to spend your professional life, I think it's absolutely crazy to pick a school that is 1,000 miles away just because they offered you a (not-even-full) scholarship.

Just my two cents. Personally, I think geography trumps almost everything anyway. Unless you're talking about T14, I think it's stupid to go to (for instance) #22 Emory just because it's the best school you got into if you know that you ultimately want to practice in San Francisco. For the OP, who says he wouldn't mind New England but doesn't want to work in Minnesota, I wouldn't go to St. Thomas even if they offered a full scholarship. For that matter, I wouldn't go to Emory. The final value of your law degree is its ability to get you jobs, and the marginal value of a #22-ranked school does not trump spending your three years working and making connections at a school based in the locale where you want to practice.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yea absolutely true geography is everything unless you are talking T14 schools then you have your pick, but location really is everything in this decision. People in New Hampshire will know nothing about St. Thomas and people in Minnesota will know nothing about Franklin Pierce.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
The other thing you should consider is what you have to do to keep the scholarship. Many schools put a GPA requirement on the scholarship to make it harder for students to keep it. You should find out what the curve is at the school and the GPA that you must attain to keep it and decide whether you would want to stay at that school if you lose the scholarship.

thrillerjesus

• View Profile