Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LS = figuring out your professor???  (Read 463 times)

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
LS = figuring out your professor???
« on: June 17, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
You can know the law and still fail the exam if you don't know what your professor wants.
If you know SOME law and know what your professor wants, you can ace the exams.
So, is law school about knowing SOME law and knowing your professor REALLY WELL?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
Re: LS = figuring out your professor???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:32 PM »
Well, based on my experience at my school, knowing what the professor wants has more to do with how they want you to format your answer--IRAC, flowing IRAC with MOR analysis (more essay style), lots of case names and explanations, or doesn't care whether you use cases. In my experience profs don't mind telling you which format they want. It helps them to tell you because they will have to grade 70+ exams, and would rather grade one structured the way they prefer. It doesn't seem to impact how much you need to know the law. Regardless of which one they want, you need to know the law really well, and you have to know how to apply it.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
I can think of one specific professor(who shall remain anonomus) that is true for. I didnt pick up on that first term, but this term I plan to.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
You can know the law and still fail the exam if you don't know what your professor wants.
If you know SOME law and know what your professor wants, you can ace the exams.
So, is law school about knowing SOME law and knowing your professor REALLY WELL?

To ace an exam, you must know the law extremely well and you must know your professor. 

Knowing your professor is part of knowing the law extremely well.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:30:16 AM »
I agree. You are not taking the course, you are taking the professor. I don't think this means parroting their pet views or regurgitating their ideas. I do think this means analyzing a fact pattern in a way that is easy for them to understand your analysis and conclusions. I would recommend visiting your professor during his/her office hours and asking them to discuss some practice exam answers with you. My professors have all done so with me. That will help you get a feel for what kind of analysis they prefer. I've never had a professor turn down this request.