Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Denied for the Bar Study Loan...  (Read 7810 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Denied for the Bar Study Loan...
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
The craziest source of all(them and not some deadbeat friends second hand opinion)
http://www.americorps.gov 

Curiously, no mention of "barracks" on their site. Instead, a modest living allowance- like the one my friend gets  ::)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

h0td0gz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 01:17:48 PM »
Just thought I would update you guys.  Talking about the situation seems to help me cope with the stress.

First, the bad news.  I've basically exhausted all of my options.  I was just denied a personal loan from the bank and I've received no call-backs from the places I applied for work.  I don't have a post-grad job that I can ask for help.  I can no longer afford the bus fare to get to the Barbri course, so I've switched to the online-only course.

The good news is that I can probably talk my way out of the remainder of my apartment lease.  A friend of mine is going to let me sleep on his bedroom floor (I can't use his couch since his three roommates aren't cool with someone staying in the living room rent-free).  I might be able to get my parents to give me $50 or so a month for food, but I feel pretty guilty asking for it since I know they don't have much themselves.  I've already managed to pay for the Barbri course and bar exam fees, so I can probably get by on very little.

I'm just going to have to suck it up and tough this thing out.  Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »
On the upside, that's less debt you will have to pay back.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
can't you work part time? Wouldn't that be less of a pain in the ass than sleeping on the floor?
As for food if you arethat  poor then sign up for foodstamps, they'll give it to you.

Just thought I would update you guys.  Talking about the situation seems to help me cope with the stress.

First, the bad news.  I've basically exhausted all of my options.  I was just denied a personal loan from the bank and I've received no call-backs from the places I applied for work.  I don't have a post-grad job that I can ask for help.  I can no longer afford the bus fare to get to the Barbri course, so I've switched to the online-only course.

The good news is that I can probably talk my way out of the remainder of my apartment lease.  A friend of mine is going to let me sleep on his bedroom floor (I can't use his couch since his three roommates aren't cool with someone staying in the living room rent-free).  I might be able to get my parents to give me $50 or so a month for food, but I feel pretty guilty asking for it since I know they don't have much themselves.  I've already managed to pay for the Barbri course and bar exam fees, so I can probably get by on very little.

I'm just going to have to suck it up and tough this thing out.  Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 01:15:41 PM »
perhaps check into whether you have any loan eligibility remaining (any difference left between what your school sets as its estimated cost of tuition and living expenses, which is usually the max a lender will loan you, and what you actually borrowed your last year). This is a better option than bar loans anyway because (1) lower interest and (2) bar loans are so difficult to get now.

However, it may be too late since you already graduated though. Worth a shot trying your financial aid office and seeing if you have any loan eligibility left. Most they can say is it is too late.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
If you have a good credit score then think about taking out a credit card with a 0% introductory rate for purchases.  I would only do this if you have a job lined up for the fall, because credit card debt can be awful.  But if you have a job lined up, it can be very helpful way to get a 0% short term loan for the next couple of months.

I feel your pain, I stupidly did not max out on my Gradplus last year (by a lot too) and I am running out of money next month.  I am probably going to resorting to a 0% cc for the next couple months myself.

charlow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
Hey have you checked out www.prosper.com ?

I think you may get a loan there.