Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which School Should I Go to?  (Read 695 times)

bgl5704

• View Profile
Which School Should I Go to?
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »
PACE LAW SCHOOL OR NOVA (ft.lauderdale, fl)???????????? Which school is better?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Which School Should I Go to?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
Where do you want to work after graduation ?

All things being equal, I would go with Nova- just because of the insane cost of Pace + living in NY
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bgl5704

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
I don't really care much about where I want to work. Florida or NY is fine with me. But which school would have better job prospects, reputation, etc? in your opinion? thanks!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
Hate to say it, but both are pretty terrible as far as job prospects and reputations go. Go into either with the understanding that nobody is going to seek you out or recruit you. You've got to make your own opportunities through either hard-core networking or hanging a shingle. It will help your case immensely if you are a good salesperson.

That said, Florida is not as over-saturated as NY is with unemployed lawyers. If you must choose one, Nova is probably the better choice.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

bgl5704

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »
Do you mind sharing what was your reasoning behind their reputations are both just as bad? Was it only because of their T-4 rank? Specialty rankings? or You actually know alot of people who have graduated from these schools and aren't that bright? Or? Oh, and do you think specialty rankings matter at all?

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »
Do you mind sharing what was your reasoning behind their reputations are both just as bad? Was it only because of their T-4 rank? Specialty rankings? or You actually know alot of people who have graduated from these schools and aren't that bright? Or? Oh, and do you think specialty rankings matter at all?

I've never heard of specialty rankings making a difference anywhere, ever.  But that's just me.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
Do you mind sharing what was your reasoning behind their reputations are both just as bad? Was it only because of their T-4 rank? Specialty rankings? or You actually know alot of people who have graduated from these schools and aren't that bright? 

I've met people from Pace. The general consensus wasn't too positive from them.

I don't have a beef with T4 schools per-se. They are the right choice for some (maybe they are for you), but I always advise extreme caution when considering a T4 in an over-saturated market. Consider that Pace is something like the 7th or 8th best school is the city. You are pretty much last in the job line coming from there. The going rate for small-firm work these days in NYC is something like 40k- which is barely enough to live on let-alone live on AND pay full-fare loans. Consider that 80k/yr is pretty much the minimum you would need to make to service loans and live- and is a very unlikely salary to start. Although you may develop skills and start moving up the pay scale, the 40k start means a likely student loan default in your early years- which will compound interest and penalties for when your income gets to a sufficient level (not to mention destroy your credit).

Nova is slightly better in that respect because the market is a bit smaller and slightly less saturated. I'm not that familiar with the school itself, but I have heard of a lot of Florida attorneys looking down on any law school that isn't Florida, Florida St., or Miami.

As for specialty rankings, they are generally pretty meaningless.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:03 PM »
Pace is one of the best for environmental law, but other than that part of the program, I don't know anything about it.