Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to Law School with an A Misdemeanor  (Read 10282 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Applying to Law School with an A Misdemeanor
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't know that.  I suppose it makes sense though:  No need to determine C&F until you've proven that you can at least pass the bar.

Yep, all I had to submit to take the NY bar was a handwriting sample, proof of law school graduation, and a transcript.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 04:01:38 PM »
Interesting.  I guess that's that I get for extrapolating.  I most definitely submitted my moral character information well after taking the California exam, but I was already admitted in another jurisdiction at the time.  It appears the procedure is different for new graduates.

I suppose the rules change all the time.  I was shocked to learn that New York required applicants to take the bar first.  I guess it just goes to show OP that he should consult the rules of his state when determining whether or not he'll be eligible for admission.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't know that.  I suppose it makes sense though:  No need to determine C&F until you've proven that you can at least pass the bar.

Yep, all I had to submit to take the NY bar was a handwriting sample, proof of law school graduation, and a transcript.

Cool.  I submitted my app during 2L and got a letter of good standing before I sat for the bar.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 12:26:31 AM »
How did they "run him through the ringer"?

In my state, those with DUI, etc. had to go to multiple meetings with Bar officials prior to sitting for the bar.  This is probably what Freak is referring to.

Yes, but the meetings occurred after passing the bar exam....
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:20 AM »
I'm a former investigator for the FL Board of Bar Examiners and the first step is full disclosure on your law school applications.  Also, I'd recommend that you do a lot of volunteer work.  This will help prove rehab when you apply for bar admittance. As an investigator I had cases of applicants who committed felonies and got admission to law school and the Bar.  Yes, the conduct is taken into consideration, but so are other factors such as: age at the time of the offense, any patterns of behavior, evidence of rehab, and the overall character and fitness of the person.    Good luck!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
you keep brining that up. Why is the high and mighty lurking on a students forum? ???

I'm a former investigator for the FL Board of Bar Examiners and the first step is full disclosure on your law school applications.  Also, I'd recommend that you do a lot of volunteer work.  This will help prove rehab when you apply for bar admittance. As an investigator I had cases of applicants who committed felonies and got admission to law school and the Bar.  Yes, the conduct is taken into consideration, but so are other factors such as: age at the time of the offense, any patterns of behavior, evidence of rehab, and the overall character and fitness of the person.    Good luck!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »
Maybe he is just trying to be helpful and talking from real experience opposed to speculation from what people that for the most part have no idea what they are talking about.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »
or more likely just someone bullshitting, probally some freshman in undergrad(at best)

Maybe he is just trying to be helpful and talking from real experience opposed to speculation from what people that for the most part have no idea what they are talking about.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »
Maybe I find it unlikely that someone would pose as a Florida Bar Investigator and if they did they really need to be more imaginative. 

At the end of the day for this kind of question you should call the bar of each state as they will know and not random unidentified people on the internet.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »
agreed to the latter, as to the prior......dude we have guys on here posting as "julie fern" and a bigblue robot from starwars, yeah people BS a lot.
Think about it, in person at school(or work) you see people lie up and down while looking you in the eye about the people they claim to have slept with, how much they can benchpress, if they were special forces, etc. Now take away the face to face contact and do you honest to god believe that people with lie less vs more?

Maybe I find it unlikely that someone would pose as a Florida Bar Investigator and if they did they really need to be more imaginative. 

At the end of the day for this kind of question you should call the bar of each state as they will know and not random unidentified people on the internet.