Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to Law School with an A Misdemeanor  (Read 11521 times)

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: Applying to Law School with an A Misdemeanor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
which states would you say are the most likely to take it? As for ten years, most of that would be spent in training if he went for the full LLM.

I'm an attorney in Illinois and I can tell you that fraud will probably result in the bar turning you down in Illinois. If it's more than 10 years old, then you have a chance. If not, you'll have to beg and plead for the bar to even think about accepting you.

I don't know, but I can tell you that a friend was admitted in IL with a Class A traffic offense (not even a DUI), but they ran him through the ringer and it was over 10 years old.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »
How did they "run him through the ringer"?

which states would you say are the most likely to take it? As for ten years, most of that would be spent in training if he went for the full LLM.

I'm an attorney in Illinois and I can tell you that fraud will probably result in the bar turning you down in Illinois. If it's more than 10 years old, then you have a chance. If not, you'll have to beg and plead for the bar to even think about accepting you.

I don't know, but I can tell you that a friend was admitted in IL with a Class A traffic offense (not even a DUI), but they ran him through the ringer and it was over 10 years old.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »

In my state, those with DUI, etc. had to go to multiple meetings with Bar officials prior to sitting for the bar.  This is probably what Freak is referring to.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
At least they do it prior to the bar. It'd be a bittch to ace the thing and then be told no.

In my state, those with DUI, etc. had to go to multiple meetings with Bar officials prior to sitting for the bar.  This is probably what Freak is referring to.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »
At least they do it prior to the bar. It'd be a bittch to ace the thing and then be told no.

Yeah.  I'm not sure any state allows a person to sit for the bar unless they have first passed Character and Fitness.  However, I've heard of some instances where people have dropped out at the end of 2L because they couldn't get past C&F... that would suck.   :o(

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »
Yeah.  I'm not sure any state allows a person to sit for the bar unless they have first passed Character and Fitness. 

New York does C&F after the bar.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
As does California, and at least a few other states I know of.  There are basic eligibility criteria for taking the exam, but full-on character evaluation comes after the exam in many states.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »
Yeah.  I'm not sure any state allows a person to sit for the bar unless they have first passed Character and Fitness. 

New York does C&F after the bar.

Interesting.  I didn't know that.  I suppose it makes sense though:  No need to determine C&F until you've proven that you can at least pass the bar.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
As does California, and at least a few other states I know of.  There are basic eligibility criteria for taking the exam, but full-on character evaluation comes after the exam in many states.

You sure about that?

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Requirements.aspx

"Moral character determination applications may be submitted during the first year of law study, and should be submitted no later than the beginning of the last year of law study."

Seems like if you're submitting your C&F application during 1L and 2L years, the Committee would be done by the time you take the bar?

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »

You sure about that?

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Requirements.aspx

"Moral character determination applications may be submitted during the first year of law study, and should be submitted no later than the beginning of the last year of law study."

Interesting.  I guess that's that I get for extrapolating.  I most definitely submitted my moral character information well after taking the California exam, but I was already admitted in another jurisdiction at the time.  It appears the procedure is different for new graduates.