Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 L starting school in July 2010  (Read 7875 times)

binaful

• View Profile
Re: 1 L starting school in July 2010
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 06:11:45 AM »
In theory, yes; in practice, not always.  Being a member in good standing of the CA Bar would make you eligible to practice at a federal level, but most states will require you to be a member of their bar before being allowed to practice Federal law  in that state.  NY, CT, NJ, PA, for instance, have that requirement.  And these states do not allow non-ABA grads to sit for their exams straight-away, so it becomes an issue for online grads to practice Fed. law simply with a CA ticket. 

That was my original plan but it seems to be much more difficult to achieve than what the school had indicated.   

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »
Wouldn't it be against civil procedure for a state to try to regulate and control the federal courts?

betazed

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
Each Federal Court regulates its own admissions.

Most (but not all) require an attorney to first be admitted in the state in which the Federal Court is located.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
I started Taft last September.  It was a horrible experience. When you would turn in a case brief, the instructors response always sounded scripted.  I mean, I would get 3 out of 4 on the brief, but no specific reasons as to why.  3/4 sounds good but that is 75%. 

I also had issues when I withdrew and how much money I actually owed the school.  They called me to say that I owed $700+ dollars for tuition (I had federal aid) but then turn around and send me a bill for $1595!!  I called for an explanation and the financial aid gal (after much prodding) finally sent me the papers on how they came up with that number.  I wasn't enrolled more than 6 weeks, but ended up paying a lot to withdrawal.

I am going to look at Northwestern as now they have "real time" videoconferencing which was not an options a few years ago.  I am also looking at American Heritage.  Real time chats and video conferencing is going to make the difference in understanding the material.  I am not sure Taft has that now, but if they do, then more power to them.  It is just not worth their high tuition to get the same thing you can get for much less at Northwestern or American Heritage. 

I will be done with my Master's Degree in Law & Public Policy in October.  I should have finished that before trying Taft. 

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
I'm done with the California Bar route.  The flight, hotel and re-exam fees amount to more than I have.  I am currently studying to be a paralegal (for now).  But, you might want to check out the University of Honolulu.  It is also registered with the California Bar and is about the cheapest of them all.  And, you get the same product that you would get from the other schools.  The California School of Law has video conferencing as well.  You have to take the FYLSE regardless which school you attend.
Angie

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »
Taft online law school? Wow, that is hugely funny. Good luck with printing your online diploma out over the internet. Online school is not a real school.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
With a 4.0UGPA, summa cum laude, a mind ready to tackle any test, good preparation for the fall LSAT, I am a shoe-in for any of the top 3 law schools. Although on here where I tend to be more laid-back with my writing style, grammar, spelling, etc..., on my personal statement which was originally 4k words in length, but now cut down to 1500 words, I wrote flawlessly. It was original and creative. I had my English professor proof read it before actually finalizing it. If I do get into Harvard or Yale, I will turn down the job I was offered a month ago and immediately go to the Ivy League. So, despite your obvious sarcasm and snide remarks, bigs, I will get into any school I want to. You need to tone it down a bit, you are out of line.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
Since the student does the learning, an online school is just as "real" as any brick and mortar school.  Also, so many companies, government agencies, and top universities offer courses and even entire degree programs online.  Wake up!!  This is the 21st century.
Angie

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
With a 4.0UGPA, summa cum laude, a mind ready to tackle any test, good preparation for the fall LSAT, I am a shoe-in for any of the top 3 law schools. Although on here where I tend to be more laid-back with my writing style, grammar, spelling, etc..., on my personal statement which was originally 4k words in length, but now cut down to 1500 words, I wrote flawlessly. It was original and creative. I had my English professor proof read it before actually finalizing it. If I do get into Harvard or Yale, I will turn down the job I was offered a month ago and immediately go to the Ivy League. So, despite your obvious sarcasm and snide remarks, bigs, I will get into any school I want to. You need to tone it down a bit, you are out of line.

Until you actually take the LSAT and get your score, you are not guaranteed anything.  YOU are out of line.  There is no such thing as a "shoe in" for any of the top 3 law schools.  Unless, of course, you have family members on the admissions committees there.  The thing is, you don't know what your LSAT score is.  You probably are also unaware that HLS does interviews.  Based on your posts, you may wish to tone down your arrogance in said interviews.  I know a guy who had  4.0 UGPA that didn't get in, so I called him to talk about it.  He believes that there were a few things that contributed to his not being admitted.  First of all, he blew the interviews.  He talked to much and gave too much attitude.  Secondly, his undergrad course history wasn't what they wanted either.  He took too many classes unrelated to law.  Thirdly, HLS looked into his High School grades and extra-curricular activities.  His grades in high school were good, but not great, and all he did was football - they wanted to see debate team or other intellectual pursuits.
They don't care that you think your mind is ready to take tests or that you think your LSAT prep was awesome either.  Only a dipstick with an undergrad who isn't prepared for law school talks like you.  More arrogance.  HLS is looking for the best of the best, not some guy with a perfect GPA who thinks he is the best and is happy to brag about it to everyone.
Furthermore, while I have substantive reasons that I believe online law school represents a questionable education, your post was baseless and had no substance (much like the rest of the posts you have placed on these boards), further indicating that you are in fact nothing more than a troll.
Take the LSAT and apply to some schools before you talk trash about other people, their intelligence, and your own greatness.  People like you embarrass those of use who intend on and are on the path towards law school.  One day, you might end up being one of the lawyers that disgraces our profession and reinforces the public's belief that lawyers are arrogant a-holes that suck as human beings and force their egos on everyone around them.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
My undergrad course major consists of philosophy, international studies, and finance. I am a triple major and not some kid with just a Liberal Arts degree. I have to travel to a different school campus to do the courses in finance for the degree but the philosophy and international studies takes place at my main campus. Other than that, we have a debate-like team that participates in competitions around the state in competitions. It is called, "mock-court," and so far, I have been in the top percent in the state competition. I also take time out of my schedule to volunteer even though I do not have to take time out of my busy life to help people. Despite what you may believe due to my posts, I am not a cruel or callous person looking out for himself, I do in fact, help people whenever I can and as much as I can.

AS for interviews, I wouldn't have gotten an internship and a job offer for a high paying salary once I graduate if I was (1), stupid, (2) severely arrogant to the point of no-one liking me, and (3) bad at interviews. I can handle an HLS interview and for the record, I had a 4.0 (or all A's) since I began school and High School is no exception to that fact.