Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 L starting school in July 2010  (Read 7422 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: 1 L starting school in July 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »
Bigs is in an ABA school. You could represent clients under an attorney supervision, but would have to be in CA to do so.
That being said, a local firm still may give you paralegal duties in your current state, and those are about equal to a legal intern in many ways.

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
Hi, I love learning law , not surprized at anything. I have learned from my other school that sometimes it's who ya know that gets ya in the door. Sad but true. I had fellow students  that started same as me that had someone mentor them and they would brag that others like me wanted to join their little group of 6 . that sad part is not realizing that they are getting help just like the next person wants....well I have never asked and wish them the best. Having said that I would help anyone that asked for help. I know there are ways to make all of this easy , sorta like a short cut to the rule memorization,LOL But any way You're right some may disagree with you , I would not let it bother me at all ....................

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
I'm starting my 2L in the fall, but if you ever need advice on a specific course PM me. Its not the same school, but the same law.

Hi, I love learning law , not surprized at anything. I have learned from my other school that sometimes it's who ya know that gets ya in the door. Sad but true. I had fellow students  that started same as me that had someone mentor them and they would brag that others like me wanted to join their little group of 6 . that sad part is not realizing that they are getting help just like the next person wants....well I have never asked and wish them the best. Having said that I would help anyone that asked for help. I know there are ways to make all of this easy , sorta like a short cut to the rule memorization,LOL But any way You're right some may disagree with you , I would not let it bother me at all ....................

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
Hi everyone, I will be starting @Taft law school in a few weeks , had previously attended Concord . Does anyone have any information on Taft and what to expect , your experiences at either school etc. I was wondering about the books for Taft as I will soon be needing them. Also and information on Sum & substance audio cd's you have tried Finz or other ?? Thanks

So the lesson to be learned here is, "the most expensive law school [Concord] is NOT the best law school."

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
how is that the lesson?

Hi everyone, I will be starting @Taft law school in a few weeks , had previously attended Concord . Does anyone have any information on Taft and what to expect , your experiences at either school etc. I was wondering about the books for Taft as I will soon be needing them. Also and information on Sum & substance audio cd's you have tried Finz or other ?? Thanks

So the lesson to be learned here is, "the most expensive law school [Concord] is NOT the best law school."

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:57 AM »
If you have at least an associates degree you can go to Cooley(where I go) If you want to stay in CA there are a lot there too.

I know I'm a little behind on this thread, but I was shocked when I read the above statement. I didn't realize that a LS would admit people with only an AA into a JD program. Is that common or specific to Cooley?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »
It depends on state law for "pre-legal education" michigan and california both allow it.
In fact in California you don't even need any college at all before law school if you pass a few extra tests to prove your ready(the GED of college)

THE STATE BAR OF CALIFORNIA
COMMITTEE OF BAR EXAMINERS/OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS
180 Howard Street • San Francisco, CA 94105-1639 • (415) 538-2300
1149 South Hill Street • Los Angeles, CA 90015-2299 • (213) 765-1500
POLICY REGARDING COLLEGE EQUIVALENCY
PRE-LEGAL QUALIFICATION UNDER RULE 4.25(B)
OF THE ADMISSIONS RULES
Applicants who have not completed at least two years of college work in accordance with Rule
4.25(A) of the Admissions Rules and Section 6060(c)(1) of the California Business and
Professions Code may satisfy the general education requirements that must be completed prior
to beginning law study by attaining a score of 50 or higher on the following College-Level
Examination Program (CLEP) examinations, which are administered by the College Board:
1. Under Composition and Literature category, either;
English Composition, or
English Composition with Essay;
AND
2. Two other examinations, each designed to correspond to full-year courses (6 semester
hours each*) or four other examinations, each designed to correspond to semester
courses (3 semester hours each*) that can be selected from any of the following
subjects:
· Composition and Literature
(Humanities examination only)
· Foreign Languages
· History and Social Sciences
· Science and Mathematics
· Business
Applicants must register to take the CLEP examinations directly with the College Board and
request that score reports be forwarded by the College Board to the prospective law schools to
which they are seeking admission. Applicants who are either requesting a general education
evaluation or pursuing law study under the Committee of Bar Examiners’ Law Office Study
program must have the College Board send official score reports to the State Bar’s Office of
Admissions in Los Angeles; 1149 S. Hill Street; Los Angeles, CA 90015-2299. The score
recipient code for the Office of Admissions is 7165.
Copies of informational brochures and registration forms are available at local colleges and
universities, or by contacting: The College Board; P. O. Box 6600; Princeton, NJ 08541-6600;
1-800-257-9558; www.collegeboard.com.
*For the Summary of Credit Recommendations for the CLEP Examinations and further
information, please contact The College Board at the above address

If you have at least an associates degree you can go to Cooley(where I go) If you want to stay in CA there are a lot there too.

I know I'm a little behind on this thread, but I was shocked when I read the above statement. I didn't realize that a LS would admit people with only an AA into a JD program. Is that common or specific to Cooley?

binaful

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
Hi, Ladylawyer:

You mentioned that you plan to practice law at the Federal level in your state (GA).  Are you sure you can do that?  I'm just finishing my first year at Concord (most likely will drop out since I think the quality of the program is dreadful and I don't want to graduate a school with the same accreditation as the Art Instruction School, but that's another thread).  They indicated to me that I could indeed practice Federal law here in NY. However, once I checked here, the Bar made it very clear that I could *not* practice law before the Federal Bar here unless I was a member in good standing with the NYS Bar.  If you've already done the legwork and have confirmed, that's great. But just be 100% sure that you can practice in GA before you go ahead and complete your studies.

Someone else mentioned that you can transfer to an ABA school from an online school. It is my understanding that it is very difficult to do so,  if not impossible.

Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
Before anyone practices on a federal level, he/she needs to be a member of a state bar.  The reason why online graduates can practice on a federal level is because he/she has passed the California bar exam.  Most ABA law schools do not even consider online law school work as transfer material.
Angie

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
So if someone took that CA bar as an online grad, they could live fulltime in Boston and never sit the bar at all out there and practice in ANY federal court in ANY state that way? If so, dosn't that mean that online grads can practice in ALL states(just limits the number of courts per state they can do so with)?