Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 L starting school in July 2010  (Read 8103 times)

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
1 L starting school in July 2010
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:20 AM »
Hi everyone, I will be starting @Taft law school in a few weeks , had previously attended Concord . Does anyone have any information on Taft and what to expect , your experiences at either school etc. I was wondering about the books for Taft as I will soon be needing them. Also and information on Sum & substance audio cd's you have tried Finz or other ?? Thanks

cooleylawstudent

Re: 1 L starting school in July 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »
did your credits transfer? Have you taken the fybx yet?

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
 No credit could be given being i failed contracts with a D+ criminal B- Torts B-
so I am having to start all over what a bummer ........Contracts is hard for me and MCQ's horrible any suggestions help needed please share . Thanks

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:36 PM »
How is that failing? Wouldnt that still put you above a 2.0? That dosnt even sound like academic probation. Are you telling me that they kick you out if you get one D?   

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:58:16 AM »
Yes it is true, according to the cal-bar rules you must have a C- in all 3 subjects to qualify for the baby bar or move forward to 2 L at Concord so I was dismissed b/c of contracts D+ grade . I have been horrified about this . I had a choice transfere to the ejd program and pay or wait to be readmitted to school after sitting out for a year . Since I have no money to pay I had no choice but go some where else  .what school do you attend??

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »
How can you go somewhere else if you have no money? I go to cooley. You might want to consider an on campus program. Online your D was probally equal to a B on campus due to curve grading. A 70% on campus is often an A.

CBE has a lot of approved on campus part time schools. The CBE "accredited"(a step up) ones dont even have to sit the FYBX.
ABA is even more flexible. Have you considered going to an ABA school? If you have at least an associates degree you can go to Cooley(where I go) If you want to stay in CA there are a lot there too.

Why the online way? What town are you in?

Yes it is true, according to the cal-bar rules you must have a C- in all 3 subjects to qualify for the baby bar or move forward to 2 L at Concord so I was dismissed b/c of contracts D+ grade . I have been horrified about this . I had a choice transfere to the ejd program and pay or wait to be readmitted to school after sitting out for a year . Since I have no money to pay I had no choice but go some where else  .what school do you attend??

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
I live in Northern Louisiana and to attend Lawschool here they are all down south5 hours away snd I have a 14 yr old , not like I could leave and attend school.I really appreciate your reply. I chose online for the same reason my child . My grades mostly were 65, 70, 75 on essays the MCQ's is where I have trouble. Before attending Concord my GPA was 3.7 after concord that quickly went to c's &d's . I know it's because of not being focused and being able to study because of working , I just couldn't keep up . where is this school located your talking about? I plan to check it out.How do you deal with your classes , what study aids do you use ? Fenz, sum & substance cd's if so which ones? Just so you know I plan to get back in the game and study like I should have to learn this stuff.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:13 PM »
How is an online JD anygood to you then? You can't practice in your state with it. Do you plan to move to CA after graduation?

If you don't then its useless. If you do, you still have to go out there after one year to take the FYBX in person.

ladylawyer065

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »
I have family in Ca , I have not decided on moving at this point . I could move there easily if I wanted to. I do know that I could practice at the federal level which I am interested in anyway,I know that online has a lot of what if''s but I will face things as they come up. For now I just want to get my JD and go from there . If there was a local law school I would not be online and having to deal with any of this .Now the Baby bar.hum ..........it should hopefully be ok so long as I am ready , which I feel I will be . :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
The school that I was talking about is in Michigan(cooley) but they should have an ABA one near you too. Do you only have an AA or a full BA?
Have you looked around your area?