Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MY lsat prep log  (Read 755 times)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
MY lsat prep log
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
Hi,
I have begun slowly studying for the lsat during this, the summer before my junior year of undergraduate school.  Just over a week ago i took a lsat test cold, with no studying and scored a 150.  This place me in the 50th percentile.  Now, about 10 days and 125 pages of the logic reasoning powerscore bible later, i scored a 156!  This places me in the 70th percentile  8)  I was very happy with the logic reasoning section, which i scored 22/24 correct on, and i still have more than half of that book to go.  I cannot wait to read the logic games bible, i scored 12/24 during this section.

I do have a question for some of the members out there; should i start banking on my decision to go to law school and change majors?  For the first 2 years i majored in business administrations, which plugs into accounting.  However, accounting is a very challenging major that could hurt my gpa and not be beneficial to me if i succeed in law.  However, i would be shy to change to a pre-law major, because of all the classes i might lose.  I will have to look into this more (weather i would lose classes).  Either way, i could stay a business administration major, and my gpa would probably thank me, but if i fail in law, i would not have the advantage of security that accounting offers, this field always has many high paying jobs.  Also, if i cant practice law, i know i want to be an accountant.  Soo, your thought  :-\

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MY lsat prep log
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
I tripled majored in finance, philosophy, and international studies and will be obtaining all three degrees this winter.

I know how you feel. The jump in score is great so keep at your studying and once you feel confident enough, take the actual LSAT. I will be taking the LSAT in the fall of this year before I graduate. However, to answer your question, the accounting classes I took for the core classes of my major was pretty easy. I went up to section 400 of accounting, which was pretty nice as I got to learn more about the field. What do you find so hard though? There is a lot to learn and some math implemented but if you've taken a business calculus based math class, you should do fine in accounting. If you are bad at it and would actually want to do it in the future, then take the time to study a bit more and work out the concepts, rules, and all of that good stuff.

Essentially, trying to remember everything in accounting is futile, so take the time to place your efforts into learning the core of what is outlined in what you will be tested on, the concepts. If you know the concepts and rules well enough you should be above a C every time once the test comes. That was what helped me in accounting. So far, I have a 3.8 GPA which is pretty good. If you see yourself slipping, during mid-terms you will know, then go to the tutoring office of your school to get some aided help. I needed some tutoring with business calculus and that helped my vastly. I ended up getting a B in business calculus which was very comforting to me. When you have a tutor that is around your age and knows what he/she is talking about, they will help you much better as they can relate to your pitfalls. Try it out if you need extra help.

Another tip to keep up a good GPA is talking with the professor about extra credit work you could possibly due to facilitate your grade. Some professors might not issue that type of stuff, but from my experience, the majority gave out extra credit assignments for students who felt they might be slipping a bit in certain areas. The last tip would be, look for students who are willing and able to form study groups, this also helps greatly. Many students are sometimes shy or don't want to look like they need a study group but if you, at the beginning of class, pass around a piece of paper labeling and outlining that you will be hosting a study group to ensure that you won't drop grades in the class, there will be students showing up to those study periods. Those who do not are simply on their own.

Try out all of them and you will become much better at accounting. To add to that, join a club centered around accounting so you increase your knowledge on it.

I can relate to you as I sucked hard in mathematics but I did everything I suggested for you and I ended up doing pretty well and retained most of the material. I would say, Calculus is pretty easy now that I understand it much better than I did before.

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply,
Really, i haven't had trouble with accounting so far.  As a sophmore at a community college i took intermediate accounting (a 300 class) and got an A-.  I took calculus 1 and got a C, i was disappointed with this.  But that was during the same semester as int. accounting, and that semester totalled 19 credit hours!  I had all A's minus the C in calc, i guess i put calc off and was already drained by the time i got to it.  Anywayyy i do well in accounting, one of the best at the community college, where 50% of the students fail any given accounting class, i get A's.  However, common consensus tells me that accounting is a hard major, harder than business administration.  And, i dont want to pointlessly tax myself.  I guess this is something i will be pondering for the next 8 days and talk about with a counselor at the new school (SUNY Geneseo  8) ).  Of course i highly value your opinion and thank you for the tips, you have me leaning back towards sticking with accounting  :D .   

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
One of the pitfalls many students fall into is the common consensus. You cannot think along the lines of, "it is hard for them, then it will be even harder for me." If your grades point to the contrary, then you do not fall under the common consensus but place above it. Don't worry yourself and over think and analyze things. I am just going to go on a hunch and say you tend to think too deeply into things and generally fall into a deep line of thought that actually hurts you as it is about yourself. I am the same way when I tend to think and over analyze things to the point I become nauseous. That certain thing is good in any number of educational facilities but it has its faults as well. Just learn to think in terms of what your output of a certain field is rather than what others say about it. You are better at accounting than the people at your CC so keep working on it and get a degree in the field.

It took me 1 year of contemplation on choosing a major. I said, I cannot do finance due to my sub-par math ability, but then I thought, if I understand the concept well enough I tend to do much better than a large portion of people in the subject. I focused on turning math into something I could utilize effectively in life and for personal use and, I did. For Calculus, my school is a bit different, we have Calculus that implements reviews within its course work. So, while you work on the concepts of calculus you reinforce the basic building blocks of calculus from the previous courses. It helps greatly for those who want to keep as much mathematical knowledge to aid them in calculus as possible.

Like you said, talk with the counselor and weigh your options, but do not kill yourself thinking too much. Thinking is good but not when it can physically or emotionally drain you.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:12:27 PM »
Whatever you do, don't take pre-law.  There is nothing to be gained.  If you want to boost admissions chances, major either in a hard science or something just plain weird.

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
I have decided to stay the course and stick with accounting or finance.  My late acceptance to the  Susiness School at The University at Albany played a big role in this (sorry Geneso :-[)
I will take another prep test on thursday and post my results.  I can hardlly wait  ;)
Now on page 220 of LR