Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is There Anyone Out There Who Can Help?  (Read 1030 times)

sapstone103

• View Profile
Is There Anyone Out There Who Can Help?
« on: June 13, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »
I am a homeschooler in Maine, and I will be studying law. In order to do this I will need textbooks. If there is anyone out there who has old law school textbooks they would be willing to donate...
I am starting by teaching myself as much as I can, so I can test out in as many subjects as possible. This will allow me to get a degree, and make it more feasible for me to afford it.
If you are interested in helping me out please answer this. I will work with you towards contacting each other offline, so as to receive the textbooks. I don't care what shape they are in.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is There Anyone Out There Who Can Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Law is a graduate degree, at least in the states.  You can't test out of anything.  Some colleges may have some law courses, but I doubt they allow testing out of them in general.  Check on the specifics. 

In general you'd be better served learning math, history, English and science really well in high school.  Worry about law when you start on your JD.

Also, law schools don't really use textbooks.  They have casebooks which are just court cases that are edited down a bit and all re-printed in one big, expensive book with a few notes from the editors.  I'm not sure they'd be very useful for self-study.  There are commercial outlines for courses available that, when combined with a relevant case book could allow you to get a general idea on your own.  Maybe the best to start with would be Glannon's Civil Procedure Examples and Explanations.  Check half.com for old editions, otherwise prices will be pretty extreme.

Good luck!

HLS 2010

cvtheis

Re: Is There Anyone Out There Who Can Help?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
Agree with previous poster.  Law school should not be approached casually - it's VERY expensive (tuition alone is $450 to $900 per credit hour - 90 credit hours to graduate... do the math).  My shpeel that I post over and over is that unless you are very passionate about the law and really dream of being a lawyer, then you need to do serious research before committing.  Also, you may be setting yourself up for serious problems if you go to a non Tier 1 school and wrack up $150,000 in debt - odds are not great of getting a job that pays enough  to pay it back.  I'm presenting the dark side - you dont know me from Adam.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

I am a homeschooler in Maine, and I will be studying law. In order to do this I will need textbooks. If there is anyone out there who has old law school textbooks they would be willing to donate...
I am starting by teaching myself as much as I can, so I can test out in as many subjects as possible. This will allow me to get a degree, and make it more feasible for me to afford it.
If you are interested in helping me out please answer this. I will work with you towards contacting each other offline, so as to receive the textbooks. I don't care what shape they are in.