Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 4 Law Schools  (Read 32336 times)

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
Re: Tier 4 Law Schools
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
@bigs: I have never held a job, so what? I still have more money. Have you heard of commodity trading and investments? I make more money off of dividends than anyone working in retail and fast food restaurants, not to mention, I make more money off of stock trading.

sonofapickles' dad must be rich...

So lets break down how much sonofapickle invests....

Retail store mangers can make in excess of $110,000 at an average store, but because this person was being factious lets say the manager was at a high end store on 5th Avenue. That means the person is making about $200,000.

So lets say that this upperclassman from a regional undergrad (I have talked to a group of people are Massachusetts now, and none of heard of Carelton (it may be a great school, just saying it doesn't really impress anyone if your the 8th best liberal arts).

To to say that you make more in dividends than anybody in retail, lets see. The highest paying dividend I could find in 2010 was Best Buy at 1.28/stock. To make 200,000 in dividends you would need a minimum of 156,000 shares of BBY. So simply multiply 156,000 times the market value of about 35.00 per stock for a grand total of 5.46 million.

Are you telling me that you have 5.46 million in stock allocated? But lets just say you thought it would be 10,700 a year (minimum wage). That means that you would need at minimum 8,359 shares. That would equal out to a total of $292,000 dollars worth of stock.

But it would have to be more than that, because a financial wiz such as yourself would understand that dividends is a minor factor due to the realitivly low payout. Would it be safe to say that you would have upwards to 500,000 dollars put into the stock system? Or were you exaggerating?

Either your a silverspoon playing with daddy's money or your lying. More likely the latter. The facts are, the higher tier law schools do open more doors right out of law school. In the end, it comes down to who the person is. People like yourself, end up struggling if not out of Harvard or Yale since you have an idea that you are better than others. While out of the other two, it might play into the character that you would want to build, and who knows, may work a bit in some situations, but if you don't graduate one of those two, it will work against you and you will have a very hard time making it in anything you do.

To say that a job is "beneath you", shows a true lack of understanding of how things work. You will NOT graduate law school (even Harvard or Yale) and do the most prestigious work in the office, you will do the grunt work (70-80 hours+) for at least two or three years. Also, especially out of undergrad, you will not find the fun jobs for at least 10-15 years. I digress a bit, but the fact is, even "menial" jobs such as KFC/McDonalds, shows a lot to the character of the person. While sure, some are not hard workers that work there, and sure, some do it because they have no skills, the vast majority are high school kids working to help pay thier bills or help out the family. They build skills such as customer relations, time managment, and to those that get promoted to managers, they learn other pertinant skills. I am not saying that KFC is the best job ever, but to think anyone other than punks that never had jobs looks negitivly at that expirience is flat out wrong.

Not everybody's daddy can be rich, so some of us need to pay bills. For myself, I have been working since 14. Whether it be at Stop and Shop, Fuddruckers, or at a prestigous internship, I have worked for the money I have, not just given to me. That is why I laugh at people like you, because you really do not have any idea. When you are missing deadlines or yelling at the customer screaming at you on the phone, your 8th best in liberal arts is not going to mean all that much as you are getting fired.

Good luck, you'll need it.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »
I don't think that he's saying that he's living off of dividends. If it really is dividends that's he's living on, then yeah he's full of poo. For example, I have some shares of a decent stock, and I get dividend checks every couple of months for a little under $2. It would take a lot of stock to make a decent living that way. I'm assuming that what SOP is saying is that he tries to buy stocks low and sell them when they are higher, which can earn significantly more money.

pacelaw2013

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
I don't think that he's saying that he's living off of dividends. If it really is dividends that's he's living on, then yeah he's full of poo. For example, I have some shares of a decent stock, and I get dividend checks every couple of months for a little under $2. It would take a lot of stock to make a decent living that way. I'm assuming that what SOP is saying is that he tries to buy stocks low and sell them when they are higher, which can earn significantly more money.

SOP said that he made more in dividends alone than they make per year. I used federal minimum wage, most states are significantly higher. He may make more other than that, but in order to make that much in dividends, he would need a minimum of almost 300,000 in the stock market. This from a person who had already stated that he didn't have a job before.
Independence forever.

John Adams' last public words

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »
Well, then his view of a good amount of money is really skewed based on not having much of a cost of living because he lives with his parents or it's a flame. You don't make much of anything off of dividends. To make $100 in dividends every couple of months off of my stock for example, you'd have to have about 250 shares, and to buy those shares on a low month you'd need $16,250. He'd make a lot more money than that if he put it in a CD.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »

Retail store mangers can make in excess of $110,000 at an average store, but because this person was being factious lets say the manager was at a high end store on 5th Avenue. That means the person is making about $200,000.

So lets say that this upperclassman from a regional undergrad (I have talked to a group of people are Massachusetts now, and none of heard of Carelton (it may be a great school, just saying it doesn't really impress anyone if your the 8th best liberal arts).

To to say that you make more in dividends than anybody in retail, lets see. The highest paying dividend I could find in 2010 was Best Buy at 1.28/stock. To make 200,000 in dividends you would need a minimum of 156,000 shares of BBY. So simply multiply 156,000 times the market value of about 35.00 per stock for a grand total of 5.46 million.

Are you telling me that you have 5.46 million in stock allocated? But lets just say you thought it would be 10,700 a year (minimum wage). That means that you would need at minimum 8,359 shares. That would equal out to a total of $292,000 dollars worth of stock.

But it would have to be more than that, because a financial wiz such as yourself would understand that dividends is a minor factor due to the realitivly low payout. Would it be safe to say that you would have upwards to 500,000 dollars put into the stock system? Or were you exaggerating?

Either your a silverspoon playing with daddy's money or your lying. More likely the latter. The facts are, the higher tier law schools do open more doors right out of law school. In the end, it comes down to who the person is. People like yourself, end up struggling if not out of Harvard or Yale since you have an idea that you are better than others. While out of the other two, it might play into the character that you would want to build, and who knows, may work a bit in some situations, but if you don't graduate one of those two, it will work against you and you will have a very hard time making it in anything you do.

To say that a job is "beneath you", shows a true lack of understanding of how things work. You will NOT graduate law school (even Harvard or Yale) and do the most prestigious work in the office, you will do the grunt work (70-80 hours+) for at least two or three years. Also, especially out of undergrad, you will not find the fun jobs for at least 10-15 years. I digress a bit, but the fact is, even "menial" jobs such as KFC/McDonalds, shows a lot to the character of the person. While sure, some are not hard workers that work there, and sure, some do it because they have no skills, the vast majority are high school kids working to help pay thier bills or help out the family. They build skills such as customer relations, time managment, and to those that get promoted to managers, they learn other pertinant skills. I am not saying that KFC is the best job ever, but to think anyone other than punks that never had jobs looks negitivly at that expirience is flat out wrong.

Not everybody's daddy can be rich, so some of us need to pay bills. For myself, I have been working since 14. Whether it be at Stop and Shop, Fuddruckers, or at a prestigous internship, I have worked for the money I have, not just given to me. That is why I laugh at people like you, because you really do not have any idea. When you are missing deadlines or yelling at the customer screaming at you on the phone, your 8th best in liberal arts is not going to mean all that much as you are getting fired.

It was an overextended use of the hyperbole. I think it is good that you showed initiative in your post though.

At the rest of your post, I highly doubt I will be chugging along grunt work as much as newly graduates. That I why I love and hate my life. People don't understand that. I didn't choose to be great, I was born above those who consider themselves equal to everyone. You believe, by your post and my up-most ignorant of an assumption, that you think or believe people are equal. That is not the case. Like I have stated previously to bigs., there are people who are not great, there are those who are moderates (most people), and then there are people who are great. That "great" person may be the person working in a deli aisle for the sake of being regular or that brilliant scientist making breakthroughs in his/her respective field. I have been considered great by many people, a perfect student, a perfect son, and by the kids I tutored, a perfect teacher. Placing, always, in the top percentile of anything I do and actually getting what I want. My whole life I never have been disheartened over something I did not get because I got what I wanted mainly due to me working for it.

People who do not get what they want simply don't work as hard to get it. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor because you are the product of how you view yourself and your actual ability. If you cannot be a lawyer, it will show. I can surely attest to not many people here being cut out to be a lawyer. I know a lot of lawyers and my Uncle is a lawyer so I know what it takes and I know how things are run. You don't get that and I doubt you will as you believe working penniless jobs actually builds character. I have never flipped a burger, mailed a piece of paper, or worked any position I felt was less of my actual ability. I did an internship where I was considered successful or great in and I took that as a testament to my actual ability.

I will have a better job than most graduates, and that is if I actually want to work as a lawyer. I am thinking of just obtaining a J.D. and become a broker, who knows? My opportunities and what I can do whilst landing a 6-figure salary and living primarily off interest is great. I don't know about you, but you seem rather taken-aback that you had to work meager jobs with little to show for them.  Working some idiotic job is not good for anyone and I will be the first to tell people not to work and go to school at the same time. People waste too much time thinking about where that next dollar bill is going to come from and they think less about what they need to do to obtain it. That is the major difference between those like me (more educated in respective works) and other people (less educated in their field and lack a certain tact that is imposingly, distinguishably different from those people consider "proletariats").

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »
your a fag, go smoke a pole.....like yo momma dances on.....snooggens.

It was an overextended use of the hyperbole. I think it is good that you showed initiative in your post though.

At the rest of your post, I highly doubt I will be chugging along grunt work as much as newly graduates. That I why I love and hate my life. People don't understand that. I didn't choose to be great, I was born above those who consider themselves equal to everyone. You believe, by your post and my up-most ignorant of an assumption, that you think or believe people are equal. That is not the case. Like I have stated previously to bigs., there are people who are not great, there are those who are moderates (most people), and then there are people who are great. That "great" person may be the person working in a deli aisle for the sake of being regular or that brilliant scientist making breakthroughs in his/her respective field. I have been considered great by many people, a perfect student, a perfect son, and by the kids I tutored, a perfect teacher. Placing, always, in the top percentile of anything I do and actually getting what I want. My whole life I never have been disheartened over something I did not get because I got what I wanted mainly due to me working for it.

People who do not get what they want simply don't work as hard to get it. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor because you are the product of how you view yourself and your actual ability. If you cannot be a lawyer, it will show. I can surely attest to not many people here being cut out to be a lawyer. I know a lot of lawyers and my Uncle is a lawyer so I know what it takes and I know how things are run. You don't get that and I doubt you will as you believe working penniless jobs actually builds character. I have never flipped a burger, mailed a piece of paper, or worked any position I felt was less of my actual ability. I did an internship where I was considered successful or great in and I took that as a testament to my actual ability.

I will have a better job than most graduates, and that is if I actually want to work as a lawyer. I am thinking of just obtaining a J.D. and become a broker, who knows? My opportunities and what I can do whilst landing a 6-figure salary and living primarily off interest is great. I don't know about you, but you seem rather taken-aback that you had to work meager jobs with little to show for them.  Working some idiotic job is not good for anyone and I will be the first to tell people not to work and go to school at the same time. People waste too much time thinking about where that next dollar bill is going to come from and they think less about what they need to do to obtain it. That is the major difference between those like me (more educated in respective works) and other people (less educated in their field and lack a certain tact that is imposingly, distinguishably different from those people consider "proletariats").

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
SOP, out of curiosity, based on your posts, I'm wondering: Are you a social darwinist?

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »
Better than a Darwin Socialist.....I'd be all coldwar era MIB up in here.....snizzle.......blunts forcunts(yeahboy!!!!)

SOP, out of curiosity, based on your posts, I'm wondering: Are you a social darwinist?

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »
Is this an attack of the hoi polloi? You people tend to band together when your views and world is challenged. That is what I sometimes notice, I get flack for my ideology and my character but yet, those who hold the same ideology and have much different character than my own are running the world mostly. What is it to you, though? I think you are just attacking me simply because you don't have a well enough grasp on your own life. Instead of taking it and dominating your life, you lash out at someone you think can do nothing else but take it. Well, I simply accept you for what you are and nothing more. I actually pity you and your little world. May you get better soon and finally see something worth living for than the repetitions of the past, picklepiper.

@Cicero: Some people label me as such and I believe some of my ideology coincides with the ideals, but I tend to make my own ideology rather than enlist in a prescribed one. To answer the question, no I do not consider myself as such.

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
hey, stop hitting youself.

Is this an attack of the hoi polloi? You people tend to band together when your views and world is challenged. That is what I sometimes notice, I get flack for my ideology and my character but yet, those who hold the same ideology and have much different character than my own are running the world mostly. What is it to you, though? I think you are just attacking me simply because you don't have a well enough grasp on your own life. Instead of taking it and dominating your life, you lash out at someone you think can do nothing else but take it. Well, I simply accept you for what you are and nothing more. I actually pity you and your little world. May you get better soon and finally see something worth living for than the repetitions of the past, picklepiper.

@Cicero: Some people label me as such and I believe some of my ideology coincides with the ideals, but I tend to make my own ideology rather than enlist in a prescribed one. To answer the question, no I do not consider myself as such.