Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Perspective on my visit to Univ. of Miami and Stetson  (Read 4589 times)

taxguy

• View Profile
Re: Perspective on my visit to Univ. of Miami and Stetson
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:32:56 AM »
I am a bit confused. Since Miami is ranked number 60, wouldn't this be a T-1 school too such as Florida State?

Also both Florida and Florida State are about equal in terms of admission. I don't think that my son will get into either one unless he scores 162+ on the LSAT with his 3.1 undergrad GPA.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 05:18:38 AM »
The rankings are a joke nobody approves them ABA, LSAC, AALS are explicity say DO NOT TAKE THE RANKINGS SERIOUSLY. Honestly,  FSU  or Miami could be tier 3 or even 4 or they could be 34 next year who knows. Look at the formula of how U.S. measures and you will how they get such inconsisent results as they are as it absoutely nothing objective in their formula. It is based on subjective opinions of unidnetified people for the most part. You can see how illogical they are by looking at a school like University of San Francisco in the last 5 years they have gone from 72, to a tier 3, back to 92, then to a tier 3, then to 87 or something like that I mean it is an absolute joke. The school has not changed over the 5 years as their rankings  sporadically jump the same professors, OCI, etc exist.

Honestly, compare it to the NCAA if I were to tell you San Jose State was ranked 61st and they were going to play UTEP who was ranked 82nd would you be shocked if UTEP won?  The reason the NCAA does not rank outside of the top 25 is because it doesn't matter and that is exactly what U.S. News should do.

taxguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »
Big5068, I completely agree that the methodology of the rankings are questionable. Certainly, the rankings themselves are questionable. However, sometimes perception becomes reality. Higher ranked schools will get more firms recruiting there, and usually higher ranked school grads will get higher starting salaries. There is a corelation, although it isn't a 100% corelation.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »
Yes, it looks like Miami moved from 71 to 60 for the 2011 rankings. That makes it a high T-2 (schools ranked 51-100). It may indicate an upward trend with the school that has been going on for awhile. (Or this school may move back and forth through the rankings. Like Stetson for example, which used to be T-2 a couple years ago and is now T-3.) However, UF and FSU are much cheaper (half the price of Miami) and are more respected in FL. I'm not sure where your son wants to practice when he graduates, but the schools with the biggest clout where he wants to work would open the most doors. However, there is also the factor of where your son feels like he would best be able to spend 3 very stressful/intense study packed years (in terms of the feel of the school and a little bit about the area). If he feels like Stetson is the best for him or Miami, then that is an important consideration. Of course, there are a number of other factors to consider beyond these discussed that may influence the choice.

While the rankings are questionable, they are also important in terms of which schools fall into the breakdowns of T-1, T-2, T-3, and T-4. It is much harder for grads of T-3/4 schools to find jobs after graduation and will likely limit what types of jobs they can get. Maybe rank shouldn't matter, but it does.

I just saw your comment about him not being able to get into FSU or UF. They are very hard to get into. From my own experience, I didn't make it into FSU for my 1L year, but I have been accepted to transfer to it for 2L. I wouldn't recommend this route for others because it is based on 1L rank, which can't really be predicted prior to entering LS. If your son can get into Miami, but not FSU or UF, it is the next best in the state. After Miami is Stetson. Stetson, while now T-3, is much more respected than the T-4s in FL.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »
Forgot to add this, but it could be another factor in the decision:

If there is a specific legal field that he wants to pursue, he could consult attorneys practicing that specialty about which school is the best for him to attend--which grads they are more likely to hire and which school will make him the best prepared. Or if there is a specific geographic area, he could talk to lawyers in that area.

(Note that both bigs and I are not practicing attorneys in FL. Both of us just finished our first year. Take our advice with a grain of salt.)

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »
Since it sounds like you have the money for it, sign him up for an intensive LSAT class. It'll really help. His options would be much more open if he makes a 162 or 163 than if he makes sub 160. UF and FSU just get more respect and they're significantly cheaper. I actually think it borders on crazy to go to a Florida school outside of one of those two. Plus UF has a nationally recognized tax program and it sounds like thats what he's interested in.

taxguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:13 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input. Yes, he is taking an LSAT review course now. If he can get 162+, Florida will definitely be on his radar.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
I live 10 miles from Stetson, and use the law library often (I am finishing a Paralegal BAS).  I like the atmosphere, but honestly...not for $33K per year.

Next week I'll be visiting FIU and Miami and will provide my feedback here.  Later this year I'll visit both UF and FSU.
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"