Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 2 school employment prospects outside of region  (Read 2414 times)

FutureUncertain

• View Profile
Tier 2 school employment prospects outside of region
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »
I am planning on attending law school next year (class of 2014) and need to make some decisions. I'm confident I can get into a tier 2 school, and less confident I can get into a tier 1 (I haven't taken the LSAT yet). However I'm 75% sure that after I finish law school, I'll be moving to a different region. I want to know how much difficulty I will have finding a job in (for arguments sake) Seattle with a degree from George Mason, William and Mary or University of Richmond. Would this be a lot easier if I made sure to have a lot of experience on my resume?

Thanks in advance

cooleylawstudent

Re: Tier 2 school employment prospects outside of region
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
MOST people graduate from a school away from where they plan to practice, if you need proof ask around in class.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56:47 PM »
I am planning on attending law school next year (class of 2014) and need to make some decisions. I'm confident I can get into a tier 2 school, and less confident I can get into a tier 1 (I haven't taken the LSAT yet). However I'm 75% sure that after I finish law school, I'll be moving to a different region. I want to know how much difficulty I will have finding a job in (for arguments sake) Seattle with a degree from George Mason, William and Mary or University of Richmond. Would this be a lot easier if I made sure to have a lot of experience on my resume?

Thanks in advance

Why are you speculating about this when you haven't even taken the LSAT yet?  ???

Also, it would be pretty tough, and I don't think a lot of experience on the resume will make much of a difference.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
Horrible.  /thread

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
In reality the rankings don't matter that much outside of the elite schools Harvard, Yale, Stanford I would outside of the top 25 schools it becomes almost irrelevant and basically regional.  If you want to work in Seattle your best option would obviously be University of Washington or Seattle Law School and Gonzaga could probably also land you a decent job there.

Whatever school you go to their network will be in the location of the school. The professors and career services live in the area of the school and that is where their connections are.  There is a good chance people in Washington will know nothing about George Mason even thought it is a fine school. When I lived in New York nobody knew about Pepperdine, Hastings, McGeorge they just never heard of the schools because there are not many of those grads in New York although those are good schools. People at my internship in SF don't really know about Cardozo, Fordham, or Brooklyn law school because those grads don't come out to SF. 

When choosing a law school outside of the top 25 I think geography should be the most important consideration since that is likely where you will end up.

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
There are BLS alums in SF...House of Blues is owned by one, I believe.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:26:32 PM »
There are BLS alums in SF...House of Blues is owned by one, I believe.

Answers to these questions are generally about probabilities, not yes/no's.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
Yea there is no yes or no answers. Law school really is what YOU make of it. If you finish number #1 in your class from Cooley you will have better employment prospects than someone who finishes in the middle of the pack at Gonzaga. Is there a way to know if you will finish #1 in your class? Nope. Will anyone guarantee you will pass the bar from whatever law school you go to? Nope. Even if you do pass the bar will anyone guarantee you a job? Nope. Education in any form is a risk and it might not work out. Take everything you can into consideration before choosing a law school and know that for the most part if you put the work in things will work out.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
Yea there is no yes or no answers. Law school really is what YOU make of it. If you finish number #1 in your class from Cooley you will have better employment prospects than someone who finishes in the middle of the pack at Gonzaga. Is there a way to know if you will finish #1 in your class? Nope. Will anyone guarantee you will pass the bar from whatever law school you go to? Nope. Even if you do pass the bar will anyone guarantee you a job? Nope. Education in any form is a risk and it might not work out. Take everything you can into consideration before choosing a law school and know that for the most part if you put the work in things will work out.

That's why I said generally.

Also bigs, your writing is sloppy.  I know this is just an internet message board and all, but bad grammar is habit-forming.  You need to start watching out for that.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
I am generally writing from an I-Phone so that plays a part in my sloppy writing.  I will agree that bad writing is habit forming and I should watch it more closely.