Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 28K Scholarship vs 5K Scholarship from better school.  (Read 1256 times)

1L4Life

• View Profile
28K Scholarship vs 5K Scholarship from better school.
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »
Hi all.  So my dilemma is similar to others:  Received a 28K scholarship from La Verne vs a 5K Scholarship from Whittier Law School.  Whittier is the better school and is in a better location for me.  I think that there are much better opportunities for me in Orange County rather than the Inland Empire because I want to go in to business law.  But saving 23K at least for the first year vs. a better school and better location may be helpful to me economically.  What do you guys think?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 28K Scholarship vs 5K Scholarship from better school.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
I honestly say take the money and La Verne scholarship is pretty lenient as I recall. Part of me regrets not taking the scholarship at La Verne although I love Golden Gate.  The bottom line is law school is what you make of it and if you can get out with minimal debt it will just be better going into 100k in debt sucks bottom line. If you graduate and pass the bar from La Verne or Whittier you will pretty much be in the same spot, but it sounds like Whittier will just put you in a lot more debt. So my advice is take the money.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »
I can't comment on the differences re location, but the money would be very tempting to me as well.  If it were Stanford for a lot of $$$ I'd say its worth it, but I don't think I'd go into huge debt to go to most law schools as the value proposition just isn't there. 

In evaluating the schools I'd take a close look at their recent alumni base (i.e., where are people who graduated in the last 3yrs working?) and their faculty (how many great professors specialize in areas that interest you? Are there professors plugged into your intended area of practice that can help you get your career started?).

good luck!
HLS 2010

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
I agree that, unless you're going to a T14 school, $ is more important.  The less debt you have, the more options you have.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »
Yea Whittier is not exactly Harvard and from either school you will have a bit of an uphill battle, but it is a winnable one. However, if you are going to have an uphill battle you might as well save yourself 23,000 x 3 years=69,000 so yea if you can get out 69,000 dollars cheaper then take it. I know Ontario kind of sucks as an area, but if you graduate and pass the California Bar there will be some options for you out there.