Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 50/50 experimental section?  (Read 595 times)

mbstuff

• View Profile
50/50 experimental section?
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
The reminder about sharing a few posts down is scary  :P, but I don't think this is out of bounds so here goes.

Is there any way to consider experimental sections' probability of being scored other than random chance?

If I know I did well on 2 out of 3 logical reasoning sections or 1 out of 2 analytical reasoning or 1 out of 2 reading comprehension but bombed on the remaining section, am I just looking at pure 33%, 50%, and 50% chance that the one section I didn't do well on ends up being the one counted?  I'm guessing that it is just pure chance.  Is there any other logic to where the experimental section gets placed?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: 50/50 experimental section?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »
All you know is that it'll be one of the first three sections, so if you bombed RC in section 3, but aced it in section 5, you're good to go.  If both your RC's were in the first three, then yeah, 50/50, unless you can find out from someone else's experience (not on this board) which sections were real.

aeaizenman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »
All you know is that it'll be one of the first three sections, so if you bombed RC in section 3, but aced it in section 5, you're good to go.
Earl you know that for sure? I mean is that a rule? I aced an RC section in the first three and had some trouble with RC sec 5...am I screwed? I found the second RC section to be extremely hard and also different than most RC sections in the style of questions and in their difficulty. I regularly score in the 170s so I'm usually very comfortable with my ability to solve an RC this one was strangely different. I was agonizing over canceling my score and ultimately chose to keep it banking on the first RC being the scored one! What do you think?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:44:30 AM »
Earl you know that for sure? I mean is that a rule?

To my knowledge it has always been this way.  Not that LSAC couldn't change its ways, but there's no reason to suspect they would.

I aced an RC section in the first three and had some trouble with RC sec 5...am I screwed? I found the second RC section to be extremely hard and also different than most RC sections in the style of questions and in their difficulty. I regularly score in the 170s so I'm usually very comfortable with my ability to solve an RC this one was strangely different. I was agonizing over canceling my score and ultimately chose to keep it banking on the first RC being the scored one! What do you think?

I think sec 5 was the real RC for you, and I hope you did better than you thought.