Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black female 2.78 GPA 168 lsat... my odds?  (Read 3560 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Black female 2.78 GPA 168 lsat... my odds?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »
The Jews ancestors went through some shitt too, should we give them an AA bump?(fair question)

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »
I understand affirmative action specifically for blacks and American Indians because of the long-term legalized oppression (whether it actually works is questionable). But I don't understand it for Hispanics, who were never treated legally different from whites (at least not on a large scale). I'm sure some Hispanic migrant workers had a tough time, but then again so did Irish and Italian immigrants toiling away at factories in the cities when they first came over. And so did the Chinese working on the railroads -- they were treated abhorently. Yet Chinese don't get any affirmative action today but Hispanics do. Well, Asians generally have a culture which really values education -- that is the difference.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 03:28:16 PM »
It has nothing to do with oppression, that is a common myth. It has to do with getting the number of students in a school closer to their comparable percentage in the general population. If one group does that on its own, then its not needed. Thats the theory behind it anyways. Which makes you wonder why in mostly minority areas they dont do it for whites.

I understand affirmative action specifically for blacks and American Indians because of the long-term legalized oppression (whether it actually works is questionable). But I don't understand it for Hispanics, who were never treated legally different from whites (at least not on a large scale). I'm sure some Hispanic migrant workers had a tough time, but then again so did Irish and Italian immigrants toiling away at factories in the cities when they first came over. And so did the Chinese working on the railroads -- they were treated abhorently. Yet Chinese don't get any affirmative action today but Hispanics do. Well, Asians generally have a culture which really values education -- that is the difference.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:32 PM »
There are some colleges where Caucasian students can get minority scholarships, but they are very rare. What I wonder is how long our government will continue with this band-aid system before they finally start tackling the educational disparities across this county at their roots--pre-k/elementary, middle, & high school--and make it so that every student can get a quality education. 

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 02:36:33 AM »
From what I have seen, the 50+ ?

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
It has nothing to do with oppression, that is a common myth. It has to do with getting the number of students in a school closer to their comparable percentage in the general population. If one group does that on its own, then its not needed. Thats the theory behind it anyways. Which makes you wonder why in mostly minority areas they dont do it for whites.
I'm quite certain that nearly everyone on this board has knowledge of the popular arguments for/against affirmative action.  Using the reasoning that you've just mentioned, my opinion is still the same.  To the best of my knowledge there are instances in which its done for whites when minority population is overwhelmingly high.  I don't really think that whites are trying to involve themselves in areas that are predominately populated my minorities, at the same rate that African Americans try gain acceptance in institutions that are mainly populated by caucasians. If this really is the case, then of course we wouldn't see an abundance of "exceptions" made for whites in mostly minority areas.    From my personal experience, growing up in the deep deep south, I've found that a great deal of Caucasians simply aren't comfortable in environments with very large minority populations. (But then again, this was probably just the  attitude in the little hick-town  that I grew up in, smh. . . so glad I moved away!).

:-\ :) ;) :P
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

MEMEMEME

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:38 AM »
I think to get a "bump" you're supposed to described how your diversity would add to the particular law school in your personal statement. I think a lot of law schools say you don't get extra consideration just because of your race/ethnicity, but you have to show how it would add to the culture/environment of the school.