Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black female 2.78 GPA 168 lsat... my odds?  (Read 3443 times)

RMBROWN

• View Profile
Black female 2.78 GPA 168 lsat... my odds?
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
Hi all. I posted this question on the minority board but wanted more thoughts. With the stats above what are my odds of getting into a decent law school?

My UG major was business administration (marketing) and I went to state school. I don't have a GREAT excuse for my GPA although I was the first person in my family to go to college and worked my way through. Plus my parents are elderly and sick so I had to dedicate a lot of time to taking care/looking out for them and blah blah blah. I know everyone has a life story but I thought the more info the better...  :D

So any thoughts? Your help is much appreciated.   

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: Black female 2.78 GPA 168 lsat... my odds?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
I'd suggest plugging your stats into the UGPA/LSAT search screen of the Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools at http://officialguide.lsac.org/.  That will give you a general idea of your chances.

RMBROWN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
Thanks! I found calculator while poking around the board but I was wondering if I'd get any kind of "bump" being a minority.

Rivka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:26:42 AM »
Why should you get a bump?

Morten Lund

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:22:01 AM »
Some schools might make a mental adjustment of your GPA based on circumstances - probably more based on family history than ethnicity - but that is a big "might," and then only if you get deep enough into the process to where people are actually reading your application.  Straightforward affirmative action based on ethnicity is more than a little difficult for law schools these days, and gender doesn't really matter any more.

If you don't get past the initial (and perhaps second and third) round of numbers-based vetting then soft factors are irrelevant.  As a result you should be realistic about the schools that will let you get far enough for soft factors to play.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »
you'll get a bumb for being URM.

You have a good shot at many 15-30 schools IMO.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »
since people don't mind underachievers as long as they look the right way.

Why should you get a bump?

brkl93

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:37 AM »
blah.blah,blah,Thelo you seem to stick your nose in where it doesnt't belong. You seem to jump in on peoples conversation and input your foolishness. Stop ............ I have seen you post replies to messages that were not even to you why????????? You also think you own this board .
1. Anyone can post what ever they like .
2. Last time I checked this was a free country.
3. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND STOP INVOLVING YOURSELF WHEN IT DOSEN"T CONCERN YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 01:35:54 AM »
ah yes, another "coward account", how origional. Ok, genius who was this origional poster of this forum posting to? Oh yeah, the whole frigin board. Plus Einstein, you contradicted yourself and are too stupid to realise it. First you say not to post, then ramble on for some god known reason about it being a free country and how anyone can post whatever they wish, so guess what, thanks for the permission retard.  :-X

blah.blah,blah,Thelo you seem to stick your nose in where it doesnt't belong. You seem to jump in on peoples conversation and input your foolishness. Stop ............ I have seen you post replies to messages that were not even to you why????????? You also think you own this board .
1. Anyone can post what ever they like .
2. Last time I checked this was a free country.
3. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND STOP INVOLVING YOURSELF WHEN IT DOSEN"T CONCERN YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brkl93

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
GET LOST DUMMY.........How free is that