Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to the Military  (Read 3033 times)

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Going to the Military
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »
After talks with the family, mentors, and friends, I finally made my decision on a service in the Marines post grad, which is next year. Whether or not it is a good decision is subjective in nature. I have tried being against the military for a long time but have always wanted to be apart of the military. I still plan on going to law school but my question here pertains to the military and law. What bearing would my LSAT score (being taken this fall) have on joining the Marines? Will I still have to take the ASVAB to join, although I completed Calculus, advanced courses in college English, and (future tense) above 150 on the LSAT? And, what position would I rank in, also what MOS would I be able to do? I would like to hear from actual Marines who have gone through training and the like... What were your experiences?

cooleylawstudent

Re: Going to the Military
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
You have to be f'in kidding me. I thought you said the military was all brainwashed idiots? Plus why the Marines if you want to be intellectual? They're tough but the AirForce and Navy are where the eggheads usually endup.

Yes, you have to take the asvab and if you want to be an officer even more tests too.

What MOS are you considering, what rank?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
If you are being serious, then I am willing to help as a veteran I can tell you about two little known groups that would love to have the egghead that you think you are.(and mabey you really are I dont know)

1) http://www.usphs.gov    loves to have people with pre-med backgrounds that you claim to have and will pay to put you into a PHD program while as officer. Plus only a 2 week officer training instead of usual buttkicking basic training.

2) http://www.noaacorps.noaa.gov   a little bit more intense but still both are unlikely to ever see combat. You'd probally like either.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:16:24 PM »
I am pretty serious about joining the Marines. For the most part, I am interested in pursuing a legal career primarily due to what I've been considered like, "you're smart, the military is not for you." I do not really care about being smart or following intellectual pursuits as I have more of an interest in the military, i.e. ground combat and strategics more-so than law or pre-med. In other words, the military is the only thing I have had a lot of interest for.

As for my interest, or MOS, I am more interested in reconnaissance or leading an infantry of troops. I would like to enter a bootcamp that would help cultivate my skills.

Math is not my strongest suit, I worked extra hard to get into Calculus and pass it. Reading, comprehension, logic, and writing are my strongest suits. When taking various classes in management to fulfill the core classes for business, I was more inclined towards management and strategical management.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »
do you want to go enlisted or officer?

I am pretty serious about joining the Marines. For the most part, I am interested in pursuing a legal career primarily due to what I've been considered like, "you're smart, the military is not for you." I do not really care about being smart or following intellectual pursuits as I have more of an interest in the military, i.e. ground combat and strategics more-so than law or pre-med. In other words, the military is the only thing I have had a lot of interest for.

As for my interest, or MOS, I am more interested in reconnaissance or leading an infantry of troops. I would like to enter a bootcamp that would help cultivate my skills.

Math is not my strongest suit, I worked extra hard to get into Calculus and pass it. Reading, comprehension, logic, and writing are my strongest suits. When taking various classes in management to fulfill the core classes for business, I was more inclined towards management and strategical management.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
officer seems to be the best route for me rather than enlisted. Can all college grads start as an officer?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
It depends some MOS require specific degrees, others don't care as much.
Have you picked which specific jobs you'd prefer. If you want combat you probally want infantry(I believe the marines call it "forced recon")
Other MOS examples include medical officer, mechanic, etc.
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

Are you still thinking Marines? Did you look at the links for NOAA and PHCC?

officer seems to be the best route for me rather than enlisted. Can all college grads start as an officer?

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
I am not too interested in the Public Health Service, but the second link, NOAA seems to be something I might have an interest for due to it implementing most of my interests into one. I think because I will finish in the fall of this year I could possibly sign up for it, but I want to weigh the options first. I wouldn't want to be behind a desk but out in the field first. To answer your question though, I believe infantry would be a good start. Does the NOAA provide any sort of field component to the marines portion?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:51 AM »
They dont see combat(unless attacked) but they do go out at sea to do research and visit far off parts of the globe. Depending on your job you could be doing a variety of work above or below the ocean and in the air.

I am not too interested in the Public Health Service, but the second link, NOAA seems to be something I might have an interest for due to it implementing most of my interests into one. I think because I will finish in the fall of this year I could possibly sign up for it, but I want to weigh the options first. I wouldn't want to be behind a desk but out in the field first. To answer your question though, I believe infantry would be a good start. Does the NOAA provide any sort of field component to the marines portion?

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »
What was your service like in the military?