Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When Should I start studying for the LSAT and what resources should I use?  (Read 4383 times)

Julissa1991

• View Profile
Hello,

Undergrad student here at SUNY Geneseo, and I want to get into a top school and I will get into a Top school if I apply my time on studying and make wiser desicions. I know this is an overall topic for discussion because the LSAT is extremely important, and difficult test and might I add EXPENSIVE. I saved up a couple thousands but I want to have like a perfect score or close to it, so I will like to start in my Junior year. Is that a good idea or am I waisting my money on the classes by starting early?

My top school choices are;
Harvard Law
Yale Law
Berkley Law
Cornell
Boston College Law
Boston University
NYU
cOLUMBIA ::)

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hello,

Undergrad student here at SUNY Geneseo, and I want to get into a top school and I will get into a Top school if I apply my time on studying and make wiser desicions. I know this is an overall topic for discussion because the LSAT is extremely important, and difficult test and might I add EXPENSIVE. I saved up a couple thousands but I want to have like a perfect score or close to it, so I will like to start in my Junior year. Is that a good idea or am I waisting my money on the classes by starting early?

Harvard Law
Yale Law
Berkley Law
Cornell
Boston College Law
Boston University
NYU

I think there's a limit to how long you can study, since you'll eventually run out of study materials and start getting out of practice as a result.  That said, I think that by starting to study early, you have some flexibility in terms of taking it when you feel comfortable with your level of preparation.  Better that than to run out of time and take it when you don't feel like you've done enough.

Good luck!  :)
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Don't worry about running out of materials.  Few people will take all 50someodd practice tests.  Even if you do, just reuse 'em.  In fact, plan on reusing materials because, IMHO, familiarity is ultimately more important than anything, and that familiarity is easier with repetition.

Burnout is a bigger potential problem.  If you're a nerd you might be able to study it for years and never get sick of it.  If you're normal, you'll probably want to gouge your eyeballs out after a few months.

Obviously you're prepared to invest in your prep, and that's great.  Do your homework finding out who the best teachers are in your area. 

One thing that I think is very very important is not to mix methods.  If you start, for instance, with a PowerScore class, then hire a tutor, hire one that uses PowerScore's method.  If you instead start with a Princeton Reveiew tutor, stick with Princeton Review's method.  If you start with PS, which takes one approach, then switch to TPR, which uses an entirely different approach, that gets confusing.  It's not that one method is better than another (at least, not enough for me to care), but whatever you do, pick one and run with it.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hello,

Harvard Law
Yale Law
Berkley Law
Cornell
Boston College Law
Boston University
NYU

Um, LSAT scores are good to use for applications for 3 years.  Take the LSAT the semester after you are done with your class.  No waiting around hoping to remember the info necessary!  It frees you up that much sooner to deal with the rest of the application materials.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Don't worry about running out of materials.  Few people will take all 50someodd practice tests.  Even if you do, just reuse 'em.  In fact, plan on reusing materials because, IMHO, familiarity is ultimately more important than anything, and that familiarity is easier with repetition.

Burnout is a bigger potential problem.  If you're a nerd you might be able to study it for years and never get sick of it.  If you're normal, you'll probably want to gouge your eyeballs out after a few months.

Obviously you're prepared to invest in your prep, and that's great.  Do your homework finding out who the best teachers are in your area. 

One thing that I think is very very important is not to mix methods.  If you start, for instance, with a PowerScore class, then hire a tutor, hire one that uses PowerScore's method.  If you instead start with a Princeton Reveiew tutor, stick with Princeton Review's method.  If you start with PS, which takes one approach, then switch to TPR, which uses an entirely different approach, that gets confusing.  It's not that one method is better than another (at least, not enough for me to care), but whatever you do, pick one and run with it.

Absolutely right, on all counts. 

Minor point as to the normal among us: even though you'll want to gouge your eyes out, if you really truly want to do law school and it's really truly important to get into a certain school, there's almost no amount of preparation that's too much.  So, a few months solid preparation is the minimum.  Is it possible to walk in cold and get that magic 180?  Well, it would be rather brave to state that it was impossible.  But it's close. 

If your LSAT is important to you--and for nearly everyone it is to a degree that is difficult to overstate--then you need to have an expansive view of just how much you're willing to put into it. 

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Don't worry about running out of materials.  Few people will take all 50someodd practice tests. 

That's because they're all slackers.  :P
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey,
I am also a junior at SUNY Geneseo, and i have just started preparing for the lsat.  I dont think it is ever to early to begin studying, afterall, you can always drop it and come back to it a couple months before the test.  I agree, that if you spend the money to take a prep class you should test right after, while its fresh.  Most schools will only count the highest score so there is no harm in taking amny tests.
Personally, i am preparing by reading all 3 of the powerscore bibles.  These three books cost just $150 in all and i have heard that they are the gold standard in lsat prep.  They are the only guys out there that use actual lsat question in their study books.  You can buy "The Powerscore LSAT Bible Trilogy" new here http://powerscore.com/lsat/content_index.cfm
Also, you should invest in many practice lsat exams.  i would buy the 3 books; "10 actual official lsat preptests", " 10 more, actual official lsat preptests", and "the next 10 actual official lsat preptests".  Each book consists of 10real lsat exams and the books will cost just $20 each here https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/Publications.aspx  They are from the 90's but still a good investment.  The newer tests should be held off until you are within months of the test.  These will cost you $8 a test or so  :o but obviously still worth the money.
 I started my lsat prep by taking a practice lsat with no preperation.  I scored a 150 cold:/.  After just 2 weeks of studying, and 130 pages into the first book, I have already seen improvements in my score.  Last saturday i scored a 156 ;D and i got 22/24 of the question in the logic reasoning section (the section my current book covers).  Obviously, i am happy with the powerscore bibles!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
They are the only guys out there that use actual lsat question in their study books.

Not true.