Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Alabama Tax LLM  (Read 3356 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
University of Alabama Tax LLM
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
Any thoughts on the Alabama Tax LLM.  It is online and is not ranked in the top 10 for Tax LLM's.  Anyone know about it or heard anything?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: University of Alabama Tax LLM
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »
I don't see any reason to go to a non-top Tax LLM unless you have an employer paying for it and can't leave town.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »
I would think an LLM in tax from any approved program would be beneficial. I don't think there is a hoard of people dying to do tax law, but taxes will always be there and are only getting more complicated so if you know and for some crazy reason enjoy tax law people will pay you to help them deal with it. I would think LLM would be the most beneficial law related degree you could have.  That is just my opinion as a law student though and I am sure someone has more info than me.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
I'd be very skeptical of the career value of any LLM except for international students with foreign law degrees. You can go do tax law just fine without a tax LLM.  Maybe a tax LLM would help a little bit, but my guess is an extra year of real world tax practice would help quite a bit more and you'd get paid rather than having to pay tuition.
HLS 2010