Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which Field of Law Has the Most Jobs At the Moment?  (Read 4110 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Which Field of Law Has the Most Jobs At the Moment?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
what type of pre-meds did you take then? If you want to be IP, do it right now with the BA. Thats all you need, take the patent bar and move on to whatever other field you prefer while having the same authority you would with a JD in that field.

IT depends on how old you are and what year of law school you are in. Job X maybe more lucrative at the moment but has the possibility of not being as lucrative as another job.

My main passion is the sciences, but I only obtained the prereqs for Med-School which I do not like all too well, I thought at the time, it was a good fallback plan. As for finance, well, I make a little money in it currently but do not wish to have clients of my own as I am more interested in trading. However, it is not a passion of my own. My passion lies in the sciences like biotechnology, nanoscience, physics, molecular engineering, etc... So now, I possibly want to add a degree in physics to the 3 degrees I will have in the winter. If I do that, I will have to stay in school 1 more year, so 2011 winter is when I would get out. The math portion of physics is satisfied as well as some courses. It sucks though.

I am more interested in IP law though and less interested in corporate or criminal law. IP law is a good field to head into.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
biology, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry along with some English courses satisfies the pre-med prerequisite for med-school. So, you're saying I don't have to go to law school, all I need to do is take the patent bar exam and if I pass I am certified to practice IP Law? If that is the case then I will do that instead of another 3-4 years of school.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »
The only down side is that you will ONLY be able to do patent,trademark and copywrite related law(include IP) not criminal,probate,etc.
Although if you earned an MBA with a few accounting electives you could also become a CPA and practice in taxcourt too.

You should know going into it though that its pass rate(for patent bar) is often as low as 37% and at best in the 70%'s. Basicly more people tend to fail it then pass it.

biology, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry along with some English courses satisfies the pre-med prerequisite for med-school. So, you're saying I don't have to go to law school, all I need to do is take the patent bar exam and if I pass I am certified to practice IP Law? If that is the case then I will do that instead of another 3-4 years of school.

cooleylawstudent

mac n cheese

• the top feels so much better than the bottom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
just get a general no major JD and dont worry about it. Besides what is hot now might not be latter.

Here's a hint though, people will always try to stay out of prison and always fight over kids and property in divorses.
Recession proof.

People might not create as many trusts and split property and sue for constitutional change in different era's but those two above will never die.

Perhaps though, if people are tight on money, they will using a public defender or wait to get divorced. Or am I incorrect? Like you said, people will always fight over kids, so maybe that passion will make people forget about finances. I was thinking tax law might be rather recession-proof whether it is for corporations or individuals. The IRS doesn't get put on hold...

I agree that tax law may be recession proof but it also requires a substantially higher investment to validate yourself as specializing in tax law.
maCNCheese

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »
Yeah, last I heard he joined the marines  as a grunt MOS anyways. 19 year old.

just get a general no major JD and dont worry about it. Besides what is hot now might not be latter.

Here's a hint though, people will always try to stay out of prison and always fight over kids and property in divorses.
Recession proof.

People might not create as many trusts and split property and sue for constitutional change in different era's but those two above will never die.

Perhaps though, if people are tight on money, they will using a public defender or wait to get divorced. Or am I incorrect? Like you said, people will always fight over kids, so maybe that passion will make people forget about finances. I was thinking tax law might be rather recession-proof whether it is for corporations or individuals. The IRS doesn't get put on hold...

I agree that tax law may be recession proof but it also requires a substantially higher investment to validate yourself as specializing in tax law.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »

Recession proof.

Eh, not recession-proof if you're doing tax advising for deal work.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)